Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Head Gasket Repair Punch List

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 06:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
and
3. Lettuce spray.
Thanks, lived all over the south all my life and never heard that one before.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Bank loan, round tuit (key fob) and lettuce spray air freshener. Got it!

Old 01-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
What's the plastic engine splash guard? An aftermarket part? Where do I get one? Thanks!
It’s actually fiberglass, not that that really matters. I got one from Paul Grant. It had two holes drilled into it for draining, which the first owner of it must have done, that is a good idea.If you are under it frequently it is a bit of a pain, but when I recently changed my starter I just moved it out of the way, and for my CPS job, it was not in the way at all.The only benefits I have noticed are first, it make it quieter. Second, it keeps Med etc. from the front of the engine. I decided to put one back on after my intermediate steering shaft rotted at the lower U Joint and was caked in dirt. I am hoping this prevents that happening to the new one.As for Electric fans, it is something you could accomplish at a later date. The reason I say this is that you could get the headgasket job done and have one less variable to isolate once it is back up and running. I am sure you will be obsessing about temps for a while. Once you’ve determined it’s operating normally, then you could switch. Just a thought.I have a Ron Francis AR99 controller, which is much beefier than the flex a lite, with relays etc., and fans out of an ‘05 GTO that needed trimming, but give me the most fan coverage possible IMO. As far as being waterproof, I used waterproof connectors from amazon for the connections for the fans, the controller in in my compartment behind the BCU/ABS. Also, they come with electric A/C fans, so will those blow out? I don’t know, I am not crossing rivers anytime soon so I am not concerned about it.Good luck! If you are **** retentive like me, I’d get the push in zip tie connectors for the injector wiring and other wiring along with any other ancillaries. Good luck!!

Old 01-18-2018, 08:07 AM
TReK
Received 482 Likes on 405 Posts

The not adding an electric fan until after the head gasket job, as one less thing to cause any issues, is great advice.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
It’s actually fiberglass, not that that really matters. I got one from Paul Grant. It had two holes drilled into it for draining, which the first owner of it must have done, that is a good idea.If you are under it frequently it is a bit of a pain, but when I recently changed my starter I just moved it out of the way, and for my CPS job, it was not in the way at all.The only benefits I have noticed are first, it make it quieter. Second, it keeps Med etc. from the front of the engine. I decided to put one back on after my intermediate steering shaft rotted at the lower U Joint and was caked in dirt. I am hoping this prevents that happening to the new one.As for Electric fans, it is something you could accomplish at a later date. The reason I say this is that you could get the headgasket job done and have one less variable to isolate once it is back up and running. I am sure you will be obsessing about temps for a while. Once you’ve determined it’s operating normally, then you could switch. Just a thought.I have a Ron Francis AR99 controller, which is much beefier than the flex a lite, with relays etc., and fans out of an ‘05 GTO that needed trimming, but give me the most fan coverage possible IMO. As far as being waterproof, I used waterproof connectors from amazon for the connections for the fans, the controller in in my compartment behind the BCU/ABS. Also, they come with electric A/C fans, so will those blow out? I don’t know, I am not crossing rivers anytime soon so I am not concerned about it.Good luck! If you are **** retentive like me, I’d get the push in zip tie connectors for the injector wiring and other wiring along with any other ancillaries. Good luck!!
Are you sure it's fiberglass? I was thinking glass fiber reinforced nylon. That said, I haven't seen one in probably 4 years.

​​​​​

Old 01-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Are you sure it's fiberglass? I was thinking glass fiber reinforced nylon. That said, I haven't seen one in probably 4 years.

​​​​​
To be honest, I wouldn’t know the difference, between those materials, but it is definitely not plastic. You can see the fibers.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Camel Trophy

Fiberglass is glass fibers with an epoxy resin and GF reinforced nylon is glass fibers with plastic (specifically nylon). I do remember it being quite fiberous. It would've been a high percentage of glass fibers.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Fiberglass is glass fibers with an epoxy resin and GF reinforced nylon is glass fibers with plastic (specifically nylon). I do remember it being quite fiberous. It would've been a high percentage of glass fibers.
You learn something new every day! No wonder my fiberglass “glue” didn’t fix the crack!

Old 01-18-2018, 09:38 AM
Camel Trophy

Haha, yep! Better bet would've been to "stitch" it back together with a soldering gun.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:09 AM
TReK
Received 482 Likes on 405 Posts

Yeah, it has fibers, like fiberglass but not.
Was just easier to call it plastic.
You guys are too serious over parts you don't use, lol.

Quick Reply: My Head Gasket Repair Punch List