Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my WATER PUMP bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by masterseung
I was a bit low on gas and had the front on ramps. I was low but it wasn't on empty, the light wasn't on.

I did not remove spark plug wires. I checked the wires and the spark plugs and noticed that spark plugs #3 and #5 seemed a bit wet.

I am losing coolant (currently just water). I don't see any leaks but I am having to refill about a half inch in the morning.

Sigh... I fear it is a cracked head or block.
If you are not seeing coolant leaking on the ground then I would check the oil to see if it is mixing with water.

A bad reservoir cap can cause the expansion tank to over flow but you would see coolant underneath it on the floor.

You may have to get the UV dye for the cooling system to help find your leak.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
If you are not seeing coolant leaking on the ground then I would check the oil to see if it is mixing with water.

A bad reservoir cap can cause the expansion tank to over flow but you would see coolant underneath it on the floor.

You may have to get the UV dye for the cooling system to help find your leak.
Ok, last night drove it kinda hard, parked it and noticed the coolant level was about half inch lower than before I topped up coolant level (with just water) so I am assuming that I am losing coolant.

This morning I went to fill it back up to the line and when I tried to open the expansion tank cap, it was pressured a lot and when I released all the pressure, the level came back to normal....

Old 05-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Three Wheeling

This is with engine cold, 80F outside, it was 70F when I topped it last.

Last edited by masterseung; 06-21-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, returning the GMB water pump. Went to Autozone and picked up their lifetime warranty water pump.

I wanted to put the old one back in, but upon close inspection, I can tell the bearings are worn so I just went ahead and replaced it.
So, the new pump with the brass impeller is the one you bought from autozone with a lifetime warranty? Does it say Airtex on the box or pump?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

hmph, I'm not seeing one at AutoZone with the brass impeller? and the one with the alum impeller w/ lifetime warranty is about $190. could you clarify your purchase for us, thanks!

Old 06-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
So, the new pump with the brass impeller is the one you bought from autozone with a lifetime warranty? Does it say Airtex on the box or pump?
Yeah, I got that one from Autozone. I'm not sure but it has this print on it that the stock one had except instead of "A-01" it said "A-02". Here is a pic of the old one, couldn't get a shot of the new one since its already on the car.

Originally Posted by jamestfl
hmph, I'm not seeing one at AutoZone with the brass impeller? and the one with the alum impeller w/ lifetime warranty is about $190. could you clarify your purchase for us, thanks!
This is the one I got, it had brass impeller. Duralast.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah, I got that one from Autozone. I'm not sure but it has this print on it that the stock one had except instead of "A-01" it said "A-02". Here is a pic of the old one, couldn't get a shot of the new one since its already on the car.

This is the one I got, it had brass impeller. Duralast.

Cool! Looks like it's an Airtex and $169 with a lifetime warranty is better than $149 plus shipping for a 2 year warranty for sure.
So how did you come out? did you get your problem fixed?

Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool! Looks like it's an Airtex and $169 with a lifetime warranty is better than $149 plus shipping for a 2 year warranty for sure.
So how did you come out? did you get your problem fixed?
I do believe he found a crack in his block.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Bummer! That's what I'm afraid I may find when I get mine back together, even though I cold pressure tested to 60 lbs. Won't know until I fire it up I guess.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling

It's either the block or the head... not sure if there is any way to tell..

Bummer! That's what I'm afraid I may find when I get mine back together, even though I cold pressure tested to 60 lbs. Won't know until I fire it up I guess.
Yep, looking for an engine..

Quick Reply: Is my WATER PUMP bad?