Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Coolant Leak Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014 | 01:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DiscoHan
Thanks for the advice. I bled the system according to RAVE and I notice when I held the coolant tank high, it immediately gurgled the coolant. I also re tightened all the clamps that crimped the cooling hoses. Thats when I noticed that the hose connecting to the manifold had some leak due to a loose clamp. I believe these two factors, especially that clamp issue, could be the reason the coolant level was declining. If this doesn't work, I will go get a pressure tester.
No problemo.. I hope that is what it is - sounds like it. I have to tell you that the last time I checked my hoses & clamps and tightened things down I muttered to myself 'it's amazing that I can travel from point A to point B with a coolant system such as this one'. Hoses and clamps and lots and lots of pressure... It's so simple but in some ways freakishly so! lol..

I say a lot prayers when I get behind the wheel - hahahaha.. Just kidding. Good luck and report back when you get a chance.

Old 09-13-2014 | 04:35 PM
|
Overlanding

Originally Posted by abnormals_anonymous
No problemo.. I hope that is what it is - sounds like it. I have to tell you that the last time I checked my hoses & clamps and tightened things down I muttered to myself 'it's amazing that I can travel from point A to point B with a coolant system such as this one'. Hoses and clamps and lots and lots of pressure... It's so simple but in some ways freakishly so! lol..

I say a lot prayers when I get behind the wheel - hahahaha.. Just kidding. Good luck and report back when you get a chance.
Took the car out and did a lot of driving today. Checked coolant level every time I left my destination and no leaks! Fingers still crossed, but it think the proper bleeding and tightening the clamps worked. I've been chasing this coolant leak for a month or so and hopefully I've finally caught up to it.

Honestly, sometimes I do question how my disco can make it to my destination without exploding after seeing the leaks that I've seen in this car. Discos are tough and fingers crossed that this it for now with the coolant. Thanks for all the help.

Now, on to figuring out why my oil is leaking from the oil filter!

Old 09-13-2014 | 10:15 PM
Drifting

Now, on to figuring out why my oil is leaking from the oil filter![/QUOTE]

There is always some minor thing to get at with our trucks.

Old 09-13-2014 | 10:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DiscoHan
Took the car out and did a lot of driving today. Checked coolant level every time I left my destination and no leaks! Fingers still crossed, but it think the proper bleeding and tightening the clamps worked. I've been chasing this coolant leak for a month or so and hopefully I've finally caught up to it.

Honestly, sometimes I do question how my disco can make it to my destination without exploding after seeing the leaks that I've seen in this car. Discos are tough and fingers crossed that this it for now with the coolant. Thanks for all the help.

Now, on to figuring out why my oil is leaking from the oil filter!

That's great news! Fingers crossed As for the oil filter, it's probably the threading that is knackered. Sometimes if they're tightened too tight the threads can strip and you'll get leaking in that area. If you change it out - tighten it with one hand and leave it. If you have it done at an express place - ask them to lighten up on the 'reefing'.

Old 09-16-2014 | 11:03 AM
|
Overlanding

UPDATE
So I guess there is still a little coolant leak. It is very slow, so I will go get a pressure tester and see if I missed anything. I love my Disco, but give me a little break!