Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery of the spinning drivers door latch key hole

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009 | 01:10 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Smile Mystery of the spinning drivers door latch key hole

Well, not exactly a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys mystery, but, this one was and has been a mystery to me. They drovers door key hole on our new 2001 DII would not engage to open the door. The key would spin about 90 degrees in either direction but just wouldn't engage. I removed the inside door panel using the Rave CD as a guide. I bought a trim removal tool from Kragen/Orielly's for $7, great one time investment. Got the panel off and for the lilfe of me couldn't figure out what was missing from the door handle mechanism. I removed the door handle, once the torx bolt is out you must shift the handle forward slightly to get it to come out of the door. Once out, I noticed that on the back of the key cylinder there was a broken piece of what looked like pot metal. Upon further inspection, I found a 2 to 3 inch rod like piece with a 4 ended star on the end of it. That part inserts into a slide that connects to the door lock mechanism bolt lower on the door. Rod inserts into the end of the key cylinder and then is pinned into place. I used a punch to push out the pin and removed the broken piece of the rod. Now off to the wrecking yard to find a $.50 piece so as not to have to buy a new door handle with the accompanying rekey expense. How the rod broke remains a mystery......I would think that the key would bend long before the rod would break. Pictures to follow........to be continued....Phil

2001 DII 75k miles, almost all cherried out

Old 08-23-2009 | 12:32 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

working on this DII is theraputic, or it outta be. I spent and hour or so taking the door latch and assorted door panel parts apart. Then three hours in various wrecking yards looking at some 20 or so discoverys in various states of dismantle, wreck, rebuild, etc. Not a one of them had a drivers door handle, until the last one, after closing time, and it even had the star ended shaft that I need. The proprietor hosed me, $20 for essentially a 16 penny nail. But it was better than having to buy a new door handle from the dealer for $175 or so. During the venture I picked up misc. this and that, including 5 new lug nuts, why, I have no idea, it just seemed prudent at the time. I did see a under-the-seat cd player, with cartridge, the guys wanted $75, wow, needless to say I passed on that one. When I got home, I inserted the star ended shaft, put it back in the Discovery, a little more work putting it back then it was taking it out. Worked like a champ, I now can use the key to operate the doors and alarm!

While I was at it, I also installed the roof rack extensions, piece of cake. Only took about an hour start to finish, can't wait to use them. After you drill the mounting holes, be sure to prime the raw metal. I also used a little silicone sealant around the holes to avoid any leak issue. Of all of the Discoverys that I saw at wrecking yards today, not one had the extension. You would be amazed at all of the great parts just sitting in the wrecks. I saw 3 or 4 trucks that looked better than most of the ones that you see driving around town. The were nearly in perfect shape. Must have had some motor issues or had been victims of the cash for clunker program. It was unreal how many great looking leather seats were just sitting out in the sun waiting to be trashed. I would think about swapping mine out if they weren't is such good shape. Most of the engines were missing, along with the front drive shafts.

I did need to reveal the back part of the headliner to bolt in the extensions. One thing led to another and I ended up taking out the headliner. I will take it to the upholstery shop on Monday for the new skin. Taking it out ended up being alot easier than it first appeared. Be careful with the sunvisor inside clips. They have a screw holding them in and then you need to wiggle the clip out of the roof subpanel. It was amazing how much dirt was under the headliner and cargo area panels, the previous owner must have run this thing off road with the windows down from here to Cabo and back.

Well, so much for a relaxing Saturday, Phil

Old 08-23-2009 | 07:07 AM
TReK

People have painted their headliner and it looks great. That is what I will do eventually.

Old 02-10-2014 | 08:35 PM
Three Wheeling

I will be tackling this same exact job very soon. I have the exact same symptom with the key hole on the drivers side door. Already bought the part but I am afraid to start futzing with taking the door apart.

I know this thread is 5 years old but if anyone has any advice I would gladly listen.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 02-10-2014 | 08:58 PM
3rd Gear

I posted a home fix