Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with purchase...please

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with purchase...please

I'm considering a Disco but I'm unsure about what to get. I've done some reading on the forum and have concluded that the 2003 disco is not a good choice due to the oil pump problem. I should explain what I plan on doing with it....I would like something that can pull off triple duty- My wife needs a daily driver, I want something to go off road (which is capable) and we need something to tow our ski boat (4500lbs).

A few years back I owned a jeep (XJ) which I used only for off roading but it was a third vehicle, I would rather not go that route and I would like something with a bit more quality and comfort. I think a Disco suits my needs but are there any model years which are more problematic then others? I like to work on my own vehicles but I need something that's going to be somewhat reliable or my wife will kill me.

How much work is it to get 33" 's under a disco? Where I go off road 33's are pretty much needed.

Thanks for the help?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go DII, try to find a 99-01, or 04 so that you are able to add CDL or in the case of the 04, it's already there. Other features in 99-02 will basically be identical with the exception of late '01-'02 which won't have the CDL capability.

With the DII, you'll have more on-road comfort, but the non-stock CDL is kind of a bummer if you want to do more serious off-roading. DI's are a little more utilitarian, but they are great off road and CDL is stock.

For towing, I hear the SLS feature on some DII's is really nice.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x2 on the cdl, also service history is key, you will spend way more getting one of these back in shape, opposed to just spending a few grand more up front for one you know has been well maintained.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why 33's, this isn't a jeep, and you would need to do a lift along with some axle/spider gear work with time.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Why 33's, this isn't a jeep, and you would need to do a lift along with some axle/spider gear work with time.
I guess in stock form DII's are equivalent to a jeep with 33's then
I realize a lift would be in order, thanks...How much lift??? Are axles a week spot for these trucks with a bigger tire?

I'm not a novice when it comes to offroading and where we tend to go the larger the better (tires that is). I was a machinist/fabricator for 15 years and am well tooled, so modifications are not an issue. I was simply wondering what people have done to fit bigger tires under their trucks.

Thanks

Old 11-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Overlanding

I have an 01 I have listed for sale here. Its been great, other than a few issues that came up, easy fixes though. I highly recommend finding one that has had the head gaskets done, if you find something local, take it somewhere that works on land rovers and have them check it out. Might cost about $100, but totally worth it. If you are anywhere near Okla, check my add out, its a nice truck, with the HG already done.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by glenwyatt
I guess in stock form DII's are equivalent to a jeep with 33's then
I realize a lift would be in order, thanks...How much lift??? Are axles a week spot for these trucks with a bigger tire?

I'm not a novice when it comes to offroading and where we tend to go the larger the better (tires that is). I was a machinist/fabricator for 15 years and am well tooled, so modifications are not an issue. I was simply wondering what people have done to fit bigger tires under their trucks.

Thanks
you need about 3.5" of lift and like Mike said HD drive shafts, re-gearing, trimming of panels, corrective radius arms and wheel spacers will be needed. Check out Justin over at Lucky 8 Llc on Facebook. He just did this exact thing in a D2 he picked up in about a week. I think he used the TF HD lift with 1" spacers and then thru nitto 33's on it.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

I would go with a different vehicle all together. I am convinced Land Rovers are for hobbyists.