Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Input on Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Input on Electrical Issues

OK, for a quick background. I have an '03 Disco that I bought with a blown motor. I have since installed a Great Plains Rover long block. So far so great.

Now for a few weird problems I'm having that I hope to receive advice from you all on. First, today the A/C blowers stopped working. They had been working fine for the month or so I've had it back on the road. Suddenly today, it doesn't blow any air (front or rear A/C). Since it's both front AND rear, I assume this is some sort of control issue since they have separate blowers. Any trouble shooting advice?

Second issue. The windshield wipers only work if I use the mist option (i.e. push down on the stalk for a single wipe). When put in low, high, or intermittent, they don't move. Advice?

Finally, the left and right signal indicators behave kind of odd. Sometimes (not always), there is a 2-4 second delay before the light starts flashing. Sometimes it works right away after hitting the switch, sometimes it takes a few seconds. Advice again?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan H
OK, for a quick background. I have an '03 Disco that I bought with a blown motor. I have since installed a Great Plains Rover long block. So far so great.

Now for a few weird problems I'm having that I hope to receive advice from you all on. First, today the A/C blowers stopped working. They had been working fine for the month or so I've had it back on the road. Suddenly today, it doesn't blow any air (front or rear A/C). Since it's both front AND rear, I assume this is some sort of control issue since they have separate blowers. Any trouble shooting advice?

Second issue. The windshield wipers only work if I use the mist option (i.e. push down on the stalk for a single wipe). When put in low, high, or intermittent, they don't move. Advice?

Finally, the left and right signal indicators behave kind of odd. Sometimes (not always), there is a 2-4 second delay before the light starts flashing. Sometimes it works right away after hitting the switch, sometimes it takes a few seconds. Advice again?

Thanks in advance.

Bryan
A/C = Relays/Fuses?

Engine Compartment:
Relay 11
Fuse 6

Passenger Compartment:
Fuse 6
Fuse 7

There may be more, I'm not positive. Also, maybe controller as you mentioned.

The Wipers and Blinkers could be the switches in the stalks are dry and need to be serviced. See This Thread.

For more from RAVE about the AC, please see the attached PDF File.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AC System.pdf (306.0 KB, 1095 views)
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There is a fuse link (bolt in fuse) under hood, number 4, 100 amp, runs many things.

There is also something run thru fuse 31 and 20 under dash.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. That gives me some options to pursue. However, the blower started working again. Would that potentially still indicate a relay problem?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When my (front only) blower motor quit, it needed the under dash fuse block by-pass repair, detailed on another forum, if not detailed somewhere here. I removed connectors and tabs, and installed an inline fuse holder. No cutting or splicing, and I have the potential to re-install a new fuse panel some day.
I would guess the wiper problem likely caused by switch: needs cleaning of gunk and corrosion on internal contacts.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan H
Thanks all. That gives me some options to pursue. However, the blower started working again. Would that potentially still indicate a relay problem?
Potentially, yes, but also potentially a controller or loose connection somewhere along the line. It's really hard to tell without being able to diagnose while it's dead.

Relay's are susceptible to the contacts getting burned so they will operate some times, and then not operate sometimes, until they eventually quit altogether.