Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011 | 01:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
The only one that is going to invest enough time to make sure that it is all done by hand and torqued correctly is you.
Or mechanic that is into it for the challenge and pride rather than a dollar and good luck finding him, he's a rare breed today.
I can't agree with this more.

Its an unfortunate state of affairs that we are in, where most cars are pretty much disposable, and shops have to sling entire parts at them rather than rebuilding just to make ends meet. Even the rebuilding shops around me are going out of business.

And I can't remember the last time I've seen a torque wrench used in a shop other than at the high end Porsche builder near me. You just can't turn cars over fast enough to make a living doing things the right way, so you do them "good enough".

This is why I do my own work.

Old 04-09-2011 | 10:14 PM
|
Drifting

Great comments here. Really appreciated. Can someone tell me where to get or buy the rave manual? I'd like to look at it before I commit.

As to some of the earlier comments, it is in good shape. No mice or ants or other bugs. I am sure every fluid in it will need to be replaced and the gas tank drained. It was not really prepped for storage but it has been kept dry. My garage is large and partially underground, so the temperature has been steady. I move it a few feet or over a space once every couple of months to get to other things. I have even moved it around in the driveway (with a 4 wheeler) to make it look like someone is home. Strangely, in these many years, I have never had to add air to the tires. They were about a month old whe the engine died... As were the shocks and brakes.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I am not really trying to save money here,p though I hate to invest too much for a teenager car, but your comments have made me wonder if I can't bond some with my son over a project like this. As a teenager, of course he has no desire to help me with anything unless it somehow benefits him in the end...

Old 04-10-2011 | 06:39 AM
Banned
Old 04-10-2011 | 04:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default tough one

thats a tough one...i made the mistake of getting my daughter one and after a year she's done as well as me...lets just say if they where airplanes you would never put anyone you knew let alone a family member in one....Unless your a full time mechanic and have a lot of extra money...i would look else where..and at looking today $4.25 a gallon for premium...wheres he going to drive...You couldnt afford that on a Mc d's salary.....

Old 04-11-2011 | 02:27 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by vandev
thats a tough one...i made the mistake of getting my daughter one and after a year she's done as well as me...lets just say if they where airplanes you would never put anyone you knew let alone a family member in one....Unless your a full time mechanic and have a lot of extra money...i would look else where..and at looking today $4.25 a gallon for premium...wheres he going to drive...You couldnt afford that on a Mc d's salary.....
I managed to forget about it requiring premium gas. That's a good point. The gas price prefix toons for this summer are dire, and we already have two other inefficient vehicles. Still, I'd like to fix it up and that is a super incentive for him to abandon the disco back to me and get something he likes with his mcd's pay. Haha.