Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need quick and dirty on brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 619 Posts

Charlie, any update?

Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Charlie, any update?
Sorry folks, I just returned from South Louisiana and the data service in that area was unusable. It was also rrainimng off and on and I was so filthy I wouldn't touch a gas station toilet for fear of getting IT dirty. My phone stayed safe in the truck.

Quick update is that I checked the booster vac line very carefully. I pulled the check valve and did have vacuum with the engine on. I pulled the hose from the upper intake and could not blow air through it, so the hose must not have a leak and the check valve must be working. I sprayed brake cleaner on the intake fitting (no change) and, in desperation, put a stiff gasket maker (black) around it and let it dry overnight. The problem has to be internal to the booster.

I avoided towing a loaded trailer until today. But for complicated reasons I had to go get the family pontoon boat that someone used to evac during the flood. Meaning, I had to get the boat off the ground (after chasing and being chased by snakes) and on the trailer, then bring it back. The trip back revealed how stiff the brake pedal could be. Definitely not good. I dipped my right tires into a ditch to avoid hitting a car that stopped in front of me and ended up at an ALARMING tilt;' the brakes did nothing to help. I did finally get to make use of my winch (yes, the harbor freight winch works, but it overheats every 10 seconds or so and then take a minute or two to recover), first to help someone else and second to get myself out of that ditch.

Since I'm posting anyway, check this out. The news crews like to take picture of "water" in the street and in houses. Water in quotes because this stuff is toxic. They never show you what happens next. Here is an impromptu video from my Disco. What you see is everything out of every house, down to the studs and concrete.

Commercial crews are nowhere to be seen. Homeowners and their families did every house. This kind of damage is for miles and miles in every direction.

Very little in any of those piles is insured (most have building flood insurance, not contents).

Here is what we did:

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-22-2016 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by squirt
I'm heading to the local U-pull tomorrow, was going to offer to pull one for you, but there's a whole slew of them on eBay even cheaper. You might contact some of the sellers and ask about expediting. I'd feel pretty confident with a used part in this case.... failures seem isolated.
Thanks for the thought. I'm shaking the cobwebs loose now and I'll check out ebay.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Camel Trophy

I do have a paRts disco in storage. But it has zero brakes. (Just e brake) (I think a broken brake line but figuring that out may be more than I can do this week with work, hop ). In a pinch I guess I could swap from it but I may be swapping bad for bad. Hmm.

Ugh. I also have access to my last parts disco if it hasn't been crushed at the salvage yard. I specifically remember not getting the brake booster before hauling it away. Dumb. It is a real defeat to go buy parts off of your own parts disco. It may be the only Disco II in a salvage yard anywhere close to me.

Maybe it is time not to be a cheapskate.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I do have a paRts disco in storage. But it has zero brakes. (Just e brake) (I think a broken brake line but figuring that out may be more than I can do this week with work, hop ). In a pinch I guess I could swap from it but I may be swapping bad for bad. Hmm.

Ugh. I also have access to my last parts disco if it hasn't been crushed at the salvage yard. I specifically remember not getting the brake booster before hauling it away. Dumb. It is a real defeat to go buy parts off of your own parts disco. It may be the only Disco II in a salvage yard anywhere close to me.

Maybe it is time not to be a cheapskate.
I sure wish I had one to send you. Good luck.