Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some feedback/opinions please on my issue

Old 02-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The red brake light will only come on in 2 instances as per rave: low brake fluid or parking brake engaged.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcr6v1
The red brake light will only come on in 2 instances as per rave: low brake fluid or parking brake engaged.
weird wonder if the emergency brake is stuck? It doesn’t seem to be or anything but if I recall correctly the light did not come on til when it sat awhile not running and I did leave the emergency brake on entire time, my front brakes are bad I bought new pads ystrday haven’t put them on yet was hoping maybe that was it but maybe not. I will check the brake fluid as well.

As for the oil light illuminating when stopped idling~ it low oil pressure what would be any remedy or start to correct that issue? Maybe oil pressure sensor? Or something more?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Mudding

turns out brake fluid was empty So at first after filling it felt better but then got spongey again, maybe there is a leak somewhere? But brake light did go off. Guess I have no choice but to take off all wheels this wkend and see if I can see if any are broken like the calipher or maybe a line. Just strange all comes out of nowhere along w limp mode etc etc which I thought I had fixed but then it did it on me yesterday outta nowhere and not having doing so in a cpl wks since I replaced and fixed a lot of things
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Meldav32; 02-14-2018 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Showed man emoji and not woman
Old 02-14-2018, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

very common for the OEM master cylinder reservoir seals to leak. You can get a kit for 50.00 or replace the entire master cylinder with a newer style that doesn't seem to leak like the OEM design. Either way you're going to have to bleed the brakes after the repairs.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:08 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm not trying to break *****, but you started talking about your brakes 12 days ago. You just got around to looking to see if you had brake fluid?? I hope you were not driving this thing!
There is an old saying" Preventive maintenance prevents corrective maintenance." I PM my D2 one a week, usually before I go anywhere on Saturday or Sunday.
I check all fluids, bitch about my leaking valve cover gaskets, top off anything if needed and check for things that were not leaking last Saturday.
When it comes to brakes, the life you save may be your own

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (02-16-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Mudding

No ***** to break here lol but yeah I get what you’re saying and yes have been driving it randomly, There’s just been so many things going wrong, and parts to buy I guess i overlooked that but thought I did check it. I have a male friend who helps but mostly I do all this myself or try w the help of my brother as well, as my stepdad taught me a lot about cars from teen to now 30, (always said don’t depend on a man lol) but I had new brakes put in back, rotors and a caliper. It was parked in dec due to limp mode and not driven. Once all issues out the way and was able to actually start driving it again for like past week and half I would say, this spongey shotty brake pedal just started happening 2-3 days ago but I did state brake light was on over a week ago. Thank you 4x4 for the info on that seal I will look into that. That’s why I come here for the help and advice. Thank you guys and girls (If any) so much!

Old 02-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Best4x4
very common for the OEM master cylinder reservoir seals to leak. You can get a kit for 50.00 or replace the entire master cylinder with a newer style that doesn't seem to leak like the OEM design. Either way you're going to have to bleed the brakes after the repairs.

okay thank you!

Old 02-16-2018, 02:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

When the oil light, and the brake light come on...its already too late. Those are warnings that catastrophic things are about to happen.
Oil should be changed every 3000 miles, checked WEEKLY, at least once. While you're checking your oil, glance at the brake fluid.

It seems to me, you may not be doing enough maintenance. If oil and brake leaks are going unchecked what else are you missing?

A low battery sometimes causes weird things. Get the terminals and battery squared away and start fresh onto the next.

How many keys do you have on your keyring? The weight of your keys can prematurely wear the ignition cylinder which might lead to a faulty switch and a starting issue.

I have gotten bad crank sensors in the past. Brand new. Truck ran like crap. Got one from the junkyard and it ran much better. Sometimes cheap is more expensive. I always keep good known spares of parts like this.

Hope you get your truck straight. Would be terrible if you or someone got hurt. There's allot to learn here. Many helpful people.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Mudding

You’re right but the thing is I just bought this last March and the previous owners apparently didn’t take care of it I have spent so much money replacing parts already in the brake light just came on in December and I had heard on the LanRover‘s that the brakes have sensors and they break apart once the brake pads need to be changed about the brake pads last weekend then that’s when I noticed the brakes getting worse so I checked the fluid that’s when I realized it was empty and must have a leak somewhere‘s but the oil light illuminating only when stopped our idols or after pressing the break I really didn’t think was anything major I really thought I had something to do with maybe an oxygen sensor like I said the previous owners did not take care of this but now I’m doing everything that I can to get it right and as I stated I am a 30-year-old single female so sometimes it’s hard but I think I can do more than probably most females in my position lol I’m pretty proud of the tasks I’ve accomplished thus far and even was able to show some on here where the CPS is located as they didn’t know. As for the keys yes I do know the ignition switch needs to be replaced bc last yr I broke the key off in it, but I pulled it out and got the key out and was able to get a key made that does start the disco but it’s a bit fidgety and have to place key correctly to turn it over but it was the starter in this case and I replaced it again. So but yes I have to buy the positive battery cable repair kit as soon as I can bc that part is def not right the splicer they gave me def isn’t meant to be used. So that, brake fluid leak and figuring out how to fix low oil pressure issue is def main jobs ahead of me. It runs great once there isn’t any problems lol ran great First few months after buying it then that’s when things started to go wrong But I really do appreciate everyone’s input and advice etc. thank you guys so much

Old 02-16-2018, 05:27 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

have you checked the oil level?

Judging by history here, might I suggest that light will blink if you are a few quarts low.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some feedback/opinions please on my issue