Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New battery, now woulnt run..please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If it's p1668, there is a possibility that your ECM and BCU aren't talking to each other anymore. The engine starts, and then immediately dies because the security codes cannot be confirmed. I'd make sure the battery is fully charged. Maybe check fuses and wiring too. Also look for signs something got wet. I got that code when my computers got wet.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Everybody is right - a normal battey swap won't cause a problem. In this case seems like immobilization is in effect. Maybe truck thinks it was locked before old dead battery was "discovered" and now thinks it is under attack. Always a good idea when installing battery to depress bonnet switch. Try switch on ignition without cranking and leave for 5 minutes. And try arm/disarm with key fob like 10 times.

From page 352:

P1668 Engine anti-theft signal circuit high Serial link open circuit

However, if the ECM has an invalid BCU security code the engine will crank, start, and then immediately stall. The

status of the security system can only be interrogated using TestBook.

From RAVE:
(page 1288)

The IDM communicates with the BCU and the instrument pack via a serial interface. If the BCU or the IDM is replaced, the communications link between the two units has to be re-established. This can be done either by switching on the ignition and leaving it on for five minutes, or by using TestBook. The vehicle immobilisation will remain active until the communications link between the BCU and IDM has been re-established.

And from page 307:

The ECM memorises the positions of the crankshaft and the camshaft when the engine has stopped via the CKP and CMP sensors. This allows immediate sequential fuel injection and ignition timing during cranking. This information is lost if battery voltage is too low (i.e. flat battery). So the facility will be disabled for the first engine start.

IMHO the BCU and ECU may forget more than is explicitly listed in the RAVE. But trying the resync option above is certainly cheaper than a tow to the dealer. "Re-learning idle" might be a myth based in this case of trying long enough to equal 5 minutes (maybe it takes less, who knows?). I disconnected my hood switch because I read so many posts from people with alarm / immobilize problems. Just not worth it. Of course I don't live near the Clinton Library, where the best mechanics in Little Rock chill, they have to take their engine blocks inside every night.....

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-06-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This happens ALL the time, leaving the truck without power for to long will cause the ECU to loose its memory.
As far as I know the only way for it to get it back is from a tech with the correct computer to plug in and re-flash the ECU and make sure the alarm and ECU are synced.
People have been on here before bringing a truck that has sat for a year back to life and having similar problems.
It is NOT the battery that is the problem, it is the ECU.
I suppose you could just keep starting the truck and seeing if the ECU eventually picks up the idle and it stays running.
But my best advice right now is to have it flat bedded to the dealer and have them re-flash the ECU.
Best of luck and PLEASE report back when you get it going.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

If you turn your key on and the check engine light wont come on, I believe its immobilized. BTW I had a bunch of "bro" shiit hooked up to my car when I was 17 too! The stickers are mad phat yo. And what colors are that cool *** transformer plate sticker? Zimbabwe flag? I also find it humorous / ironic that your car is broken, and your battery says "game over".

Last edited by RoverMasterTech; 06-06-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
If you turn your key on and the check engine light wont come on, I believe its immobilized. BTW I had a bunch of "bro" shiit hooked up to my car when I was 17 too! The stickers are mad phat yo. And what colors are that cool *** transformer plate sticker? Zimbabwe flag? I also find it humorous / ironic that your car is broken, and your battery says "game over".
morons like you are the reason i normally stay off or forums...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

This post has given me a good laugh or two...lol
Punisher more than likely has been given the information that he needed and insulted Mike along the way....
Kids these days...lucky guy though, Mike, Buzz, Spike and Master all chimed in to help out.
Nice.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Banned

and all of them were wrong with saying the battery could not cause this problem, the problem has been fixed.. the computer sat to long with out power and lost its memory, just like mike said it could not.. memory reset now and truck is perfect again...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Banned

thanks spike jfir, and savannah i appreciate the help with out the dumb comments, you 3 were a big help..

Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Drifting

go buy some more bubble gum stickers. and like you said it wasnt the battery you it the LR tech said it happens all the time. it lost its idle yea ok but the LR tech wasnt smart enough to fix it? or have a solution for you? like the other guys said we all been 17 before BRO.. but back when i was a kid, I had large respect for knowledge which usually came from elders and not the bros or the $200 an hour LR techs.
thx to this forum you learned that it indeed was a security issue, instead of pushing your wrong you should have been all ears. come back in 20 years and we can talk more.. you will hopefully grow into a man someday but until then dont point fingers or try to wrong people that actually tried to help you.
take it how you want to, my 2 cents, maybe 1/8th of it will stick and you will thank me in 20.

my 2 cents..

Old 06-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

after the dust has cleared, what had to be done to make the truck return to normal?

Quick Reply: New battery, now woulnt run..please help