Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New driveshaft longevity

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New driveshaft longevity

Hey guys, quick question here. So I'm having a brand new Tom Woods driveshaft installed on my '99 D2, and I was wondering how long I can expect this thing to last? Is there a chance it can explode and smash my transmission? Do I still need to be cautious of how I use the accelerator in hopes that it doesn't wear the driveshaft out? My old driveshaft didn't break, but I'm having a new one installed for precautions. I haven't really heard anything regarding the lifespan of a new driveshaft, hence why I'm asking you all. Thanks!

Old 08-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Crash458
Hey guys, quick question here. So I'm having a brand new Tom Woods driveshaft installed on my '99 D2, and I was wondering how long I can expect this thing to last? Is there a chance it can explode and smash my transmission? Do I still need to be cautious of how I use the accelerator in hopes that it doesn't wear the driveshaft out? My old driveshaft didn't break, but I'm having a new one installed for precautions. I haven't really heard anything regarding the lifespan of a new driveshaft, hence why I'm asking you all. Thanks!
As long as you grease your u-joints on the Woods shaft you shouldn't have a problem with it. That's the main reason the driveshaft fails and has the potential to ruin your transmission - the u-joints fail. Land Rover engineers didn't take into account keeping parts greased when they designed your vehicle. What happens is your u-joints dry out since they aren't being greased and then they crack, break and the driveshaft goes 'flying' and smashes into other parts of your Rover. If you keep it wet and grease it every time you change your oil you should be fine. If you don't change your own oil and use an express place, ask them to grease your zerks.

How's that for an explanation/answer?....

Old 08-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Excellent KD, dead right. My original front cardan (Hookes) jointed shaft lasted to 120K miles and without any issues even then but I reckon I was lucky. If a new shaft is fitted with zerks it's well worth ensuring they are greased up well every service as an insurance. I would guess a well serviced cardan shaft should see 100K miles at least and possibly more. It also depends on how roughly it's treated with offroad use with mud and dirt in the UJ's.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I usually grease the u-joints on m Dynamic Driveline shaft every oil change, since I'm down there anyway. The center ball of the double-cardon is a little tougher to access (involves removing the front bolts and dropping the front of the DS) so that ends up being more like one a year or every 3 oil changes.

I only have 20K on mine, but so far, so good!

-G

Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I grease every oil change and plan to replace ujs at 80k..., this is what I do on my work trucks. 80 k good number. Maybe you can get 150 out of it, but not worth the risk, to me.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The sad thing about D2's is the lack of serviceable grease points on shafts, suspension and steering whereas my '95 Pajero is fully loaded with grease points on all of these. It's the price paid for modern 'disposable' sealed units on these trucks instead of the more expensive detailed serviceable grease points. The vast majority of the parts on the Pajero are original and in excellent condition with 80K miles and 19 years on it but admittedly it hasn't done the same mileage as the D2 and not such a hard life towing etc.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

My local driveshaft guy here in town says to remove the centering ball every 20-30k and service.

You haven't been able to really grease anything on American/foreign cars and trucks for many years....I laugh when jiffy oil change commercials mention "full grease and oil change". What grease zurks are they greasing??? Your lucky if you have 2 tie rod ends you can service these days...

Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
My local driveshaft guy here in town says to remove the centering ball every 20-30k and service.

You haven't been able to really grease anything on American/foreign cars and trucks for many years....I laugh when jiffy oil change commercials mention "full grease and oil change". What grease zurks are they greasing??? Your lucky if you have 2 tie rod ends you can service these days...
surely, you mean remove shaft and service centering ball..? if removing ball......replace.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah he pulled my cardon joint apart and greased it (their was nothing wrong with it, so he didnt replace) He said it's standard procedure in drive shaft work to always sevice the cardon joint even if only doing u-joint replacement...Im confident in his work.