Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple 96 disco questions from a new owner!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:08 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple 96 disco questions from a new owner!

well, i really have one questions...

im trading my jeep cj7for a 96 discovery, its in good shape, but what should i look for as far as problems in a 1995 disco se7? what are the common problems, and what are the not so common problems that i should still look into?

thanks everyone!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: couple 96 disco questions from a new owner!

look for leaks, listen for knocks. Regular stuff. Head gaskets are prone to failure, and an unchecked coolant leak can kill a motor fast.

Make sure you have good fluid in the driveline, and watch your u-joints. If the front goes, it can take out the transmission with it.

1 question, if you are trading for a 96, why are you asking about a 95? Not too much difference in the 2, just curious...

Not so common issues are random mis-fires due to what I guess is electrical. There are a couple of people on here that are having some stumbling problems in 95/96. Replaced a lot it sounds like, and still no clues.

Good Luck and welcome to the forums. IF you need any help, just shout!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
4th Gear

kool. i meant 96', sorry, typo. i havnt traded yet, but im going to look at it tomorrow. it has 130,000 miles on it so ill def. check for the HG. what would you look for in a 96 if you were going with someone to look at one to buy?

and thanks for the welcome!!

Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought my 97 on a whim, and it has turned out to be great. Look at the condition of the seats. The carpet also has a tendancy to wear by the transmission hump on the passenger side.. I had a lot of small electrical issures like bulbs, fuses, and the random brake light switch.

These engines are based off the 1960's buick rocket 8, so not to technical. I think yours should have a distributor, mine has a coil pack. If so, be careful if changing the rotor, it can cause problems. Oh, and you will get bad gas mileage, be prepared. 13-17 on average.

I would check the brakes, these things are heavey and eat brakes fast if not maintained properly. I had to do mine when I got it, and Midas had replaced the pads and rotors. After 9 months, it was on metal again. of course, they wouldn't do anything about it....Also jiggle the tires and check for play...

You can go to rover-renovations.com and they will send you a rave CD for free. It has the workshop and electrical manuals on it, total must have if you do your own work, in my opinion.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 PM
4th Gear

awesome, ill check that site out. yeah, im going to look at it tomorrow. i was told about the bad gas mileage... we'll see what happens tomorrow. if i end up not liking it, i can always resell it. the market for them is pretty good from what ive heard.