Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (and hopefully final) engine build.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 11:19 AM
Winching
Received 204 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by WildPackofFamilyDogs
1. Yes. Tis good this way. Doesn’t bounce around and float like a sketchy Wrangler. It will soften and drop eventually. You got any extra weight on it? Bumpers? Sliders? Winch?

2. Whenever I crack open the PS system and go to drive it for the first time it feels tight then loose at times. Maybe it’s just working air out of the system. Maybe it’s my mind playing tricks but I usually go do sweeping figure 8s in an empty church parking lot after a few brews to feel youthful and after a few rounds and daily driving it normalizes. Juke has a write up about flushing/bleeding I think in the tech section. Never done it as it usually works itself out.

Question. What’s tee’d off from the coolant elbow outlet? You seem to have a sensor there. As well, you have an inline thermostat attached to the tee. That tee set up is intriguing me as it may reduce the stress on coolant elbow outlet hose connected to my inline thermostat housing.

Do you think you could snap a closer picture for research purposes?

Everything looks amazing brother. A great example of how to do it up. One day I hope to do it up comfortably but for now Theseus’ Ship is on a 10 year preventative maintenance plan.

EDIT: After you get new tires you mentioned you are getting an alignment. Are you going to a “Green Means Go” alignment shop or more of a take your time and get it right alignment shop? Standard shop will get your Toe within specs and once it’s within Manual Specs and within the green they call it good. Pan Hard handles axle centerness, that is if you have an adjustable one. Actually if you dont let me know I have an extra 03-04 one I believe, just needs the bushings pushed out as they were pinched during installation.
Thanks!

The aluminum "T" is one of Abran's that I modified. I had a plug made up with a tapped hole and welded it to one end. The capillary tube for a Smith's mechanical water temp gauge screws into the tapped hole. Check out post #6 here - https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-gauge-110032/

I also have the aluminum multi connector fitting below - no more plastic bits in the cooling sys. I do have the aluminum coolant tank too, but I have not installed it yet.

Thanks for the panhard rod offer. I have the OEM rod with new genuine LB bushings.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:21 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Extinct
I assume you have already adjusted the slack out of the steering box?
Found the info on how to adjust - getting it done later today. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2023, 11:52 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Luna
Thanks!

The aluminum "T" is one of Abran's that I modified. I had a plug made up with a tapped hole and welded it to one end. The capillary tube for a Smith's mechanical water temp gauge screws into the tapped hole. Check out post #6 here - https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-gauge-110032/

I also have the aluminum multi connector fitting below - no more plastic bits in the cooling sys. I do have the aluminum coolant tank too, but I have not installed it yet.

Thanks for the panhard rod offer. I have the OEM rod with new genuine LB bushings.
Ah! I have one of those aluminum tee’s as well, which is why I asked. I am assuming you are measuring temperature right there?

I think it’s super smart even if I cut it and dont tap
in to it. I cut my top hose like a bozo and it’s just barely following “bend radius guidelines.”

I also like to compare the Ultragauge Temp readout as what I call “pre-tstat temp” and I have a temp sensor in line after the inline tstat that I call “post tstat temp.” I obviously thought up these phrases first in the community and think quite highly of the design… but for real, I don’t think I could change it now as I really enjoying watching both temperatures equalize and knowing the current position of the tstat.

No worries on the Panhard. How much lift did you achieve? I am sure the axle wont be too off center. If you change your anytime feel free to ask. It would come with Terrafirma red bushings. Sell it cheap as I have no use for it.

Thanks for showing the cooling system design. Tis cool.

The following users liked this post:
YETIX (05-31-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 05:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Luna
After ordering a new tensioner, followed by a new balancer pulley, finally took her for a shakedown run.

What kind of thermostat is that? Looks like the housing is machined not a casting. I need to get my inline mod done finally.

Edit: I guess I found it? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wn0072

Last edited by Discorama; 06-05-2023 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:00 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Discorama
What kind of thermostat is that? Looks like the housing is machined not a casting. I need to get my inline mod done finally.

Edit: I guess I found it? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wn0072
Yep - that’s it.

im not totally happy with the bottom hose. What are you using?

Old 06-10-2023, 02:56 PM
Winching

All dialed.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tony Luna:
andino (06-10-2023), jastutte (06-12-2023), YETIX (06-11-2023)