Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Leak found any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
The wrenches from LR work well but there is another option. If you put a long combination wrench (the kind with the 15degree offset open end) on the fan nut with the offset pointing in the direction of loosening then hit the box end of the wrench with a hammer, it will impact the nut in the loosening direction. I think the nut is 36mm. (I don't use this method, I've just seen it done, I bought the LR wrenches when I worked at the dealer because I got tired of always looking for the dealers set that the other techs never put away)
Know of any place John Q Public could find those tools for sale?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I use a huge crescent wrench. tall enough to stick up near the air conditioner pulley.
And, a huge screw driver.
First, get the crescent wrench onto the nut. This takes a few tries of adjusting it closed a tiny fraction and trying the wrench for fit.

Then wedge the screw driver under the crescent wrench and against a bolt holding the water pump pulley on.

Left hand - grab the screw driver which will be on your left at 10 o clock position.
Right hand - get a 5 pound stubby hammer.

Crescent wrench is at 12 oclock.
Hit it from the left side traveling right. Or, hitting it to turn the fan nut counter clockwise.

Don't whack the A/C pulley by mistake.

After a lot of tries - this may work.
Not the best way- but works for me.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thebloody
Know of any place John Q Public could find those tools for sale?
The Land Rover tools? Only place I know of is the dealer. You may be able to get them from England, not sure. I paid $75 for the pair 10 years ago but that was employee price (if that meant anything, probably not) The part numbers for the tools are LRT-12-093 CUK 02 for the one that holds the hub, and LRT-12-094 CUK 02 for the double open ended wrench. (I think the CUK 02 bit is for when it was made, just a guess). These work on gas as well as diesel (like there's a big need for that). The 093 wrench is the only one you really need, you can use a crescent wrench for the nut (but the factory one is thinner and easier to get in there) Might try a Google search on the part number, who knows maybe some old LR techs are putting them up on ebay.