Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner - looking for fuse block removal tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 05:53 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - looking for fuse block removal tips

Hey guys,

Overall, think the discovery is awesome! Picture attached - it needs a wash and vacuum inside more than anything. Looks like its been parked under a tree with the windows open. Drove it going 75 on the highway and was impressed that it didn't seem to have any issue.

I'm trying to remove my fuse block under the steering wheel to check the back of it and possibly repair. Based on my research, I have a common problem which is voltage at blower but no spinning with all fuses being good.

Are there any tricks to getting the fuse block out? I removed the 10mm nut and can pull the fuse block out some but it feels like I'm out of "slack" with wires behind the fuse block. The problem is I can't pull it out enough to unplug anything behind it.

*Random extra question - my front aux. lights don't work. Is that what this button is for (see picture)? I haven't investigated that problem much yet because I live in GA and a working AC blower is pretty important right now!

Old 07-31-2019, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

That switch looks like an aftermarket one, they have some with custom printed functions like that.

As for the fuse box, you need to undo the nut up top, and then pull the panel UP as it the bottom has a retention nipple thing. And then you can twist and pull it(moderately) to get to the back side. There is still not a lot of slack, but you can get the plugs out of that way

The following users liked this post:
Seth McKay (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

As for the front aux spot lights part number STC50039, look for a small black box near the engine bay's fuse box. That is the brain (?) for the aux lights. They are known for going bad and not working.
I have it on my Disco 2 and I still need to remove the small black box from the system and wire in a relay.
More info at www.discovery2.co.uk Driving / Spot Lamps and in the below attachment from Land Rover.

Seth McKay (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 09:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

I had to replace my fusebox and the first replacement (used of course) had the blower motor not working.
Had to get a second replacement that ultimately resolved both issues.

Getting it out was a little tricky the first time.
You have to TWIST it to the left - get all of the plugs unplugged BEFORE trying to pull it out of the opening.
Opposite when putting it back - go through the opening before trying to plug anything back in.

Seth McKay (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:21 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by NewToTheTwo
I had to replace my fusebox and the first replacement (used of course) had the blower motor not working.
Had to get a second replacement that ultimately resolved both issues.

Getting it out was a little tricky the first time.
You have to TWIST it to the left - get all of the plugs unplugged BEFORE trying to pull it out of the opening.
Opposite when putting it back - go through the opening before trying to plug anything back in.
Ok cool thanks! I assume that the wires in the back

Went ahead and ordered this so I will have it next time I go to take it out. I will crack it open and check the back for corrosion before installing since this site is all used parts.
https://www.roverlandparts.com/2003-...dashboard.aspx

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
As for the front aux spot lights part number STC50039, look for a small black box near the engine bay's fuse box. That is the brain (?) for the aux lights. They are known for going bad and not working.
I have it on my Disco 2 and I still need to remove the small black box from the system and wire in a relay.
More info at www.discovery2.co.uk Driving / Spot Lamps and in the below attachment from Land Rover.
Wow - I have to give LR credit. They have some nice write ups. I will check on that black box. The relay fix seems like a better idea than the momentary switch deal.

Old 08-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

The fuse boxes are a weak link, recommend splicing in a separate fuse for that circuit. After fixing the same one 3 times I gave up and spliced in an external fuse holder and positioned it so it was in the same opening as the normal fusebox.

Nice looking truck btw, what did you give for it?

Old 08-02-2019, 08:01 AM
7th Gear

I'm actually not the owner. Just the care taker for awhile - my neighbor wanted to buy my Explorer at a decent price so I let him and am driving this for a few months. It is my dads but he is a bit older and didn't feel like fixing any of the little issues so it has just been sitting for maybe 6 months.

I told him it was too cool of an SUV to not drive so I'm going to drive it around while I fix up any little issues I find. So far need to fix front aux lights, passenger window "pops" and doesn't want to go down, this blower issue and hope to get keyless entry working for it. I have 2 keys but neither have "guts" in them.

I enjoy driving it and my 3 and 5 year old boy think its amazing. Hope to find an easy trail to take it on with them in the back because they'd be in heaven.