Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner - Need help ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:40 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Need help ....

Hello Everyone,

My wife picked up a 2001 Land Rover Discovery SEL a couple weeks back and so far so good until today when I hopped in to drive it home and we have the following issues,

1. About halfway home, the Speedometer stopped working? Just doesn't move at all?

2. Got home and when I went to take the key out, it wouldn;t come out so I gave the steering column a bump with my palm. Now with key out, all lights in Guage cluster are ON and radio continues to play.

Started it back up, gauges went back to normal, all idiot lights go off, etc... drives normal but still no speedomenter.

Turn off, remove key and voila, all idiot lights come back on and such?

Checked Speedo fuse, when I pull it out, all lights on gauges go out, fuse is not blown, put it back in and voila... powers up dash like the key is in the ignition...

So I'm not sure if the problems are related or not... I may have two separate issues or maybe they are related ? Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed as I'm stumped...

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Any leaks in the sunroofs? Maybe getting to the fuse board and playing silly monkeys.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No idea on the speedo, but make sure you're actually turning the key all way to the off position before removing it. I've seen keys that will come out without being in the correct/off position. If that's not it, it must be a short, but of now help on how to fix it. Good luck and welcome to the life of Rover ownership

Old 10-06-2014, 04:52 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner - Need Help...

Originally Posted by cappedup
Any leaks in the sunroofs? Maybe getting to the fuse board and playing silly monkeys.

Front sunroof started leaking badly in the last two days when it rained, YES... It doesn't open so I was going to silicone it shut anyhow for the time being...

I asked my wife and she said it dripped quite a bit of water on her this morning.

I'll check that out...

Thanks

Old 10-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

If it dripped on the drivers side, there is a fuse board underneath the steering wheel.

Big flat screw driver, two plastic turney things. Folds down and you get access to the board. Have a look and see if there is any moisture at all in there. If there is it must be a big possibility it's shorting stuff out. Even if you can't see anything.