Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new water pump and serpentine belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new water pump and serpentine belt

I purchased a reman water pump for my '03 disco from Advance Auto. I ordered a fan clutch assembly from Atlantic British and the salesman advised purchasing a new pump. I said sure, ok. He sent me a new pump, and I'm (was) going to take the reman back to Advance. Well, I got to looking at the new one (130$, reman was 140$), and it is not all that great looking, and figured out that it is aluminum and the reman is heavy, cast iron I think... So, I want to go withthe reman that is cast iron, it looks good. Any suggestions?

Also, Atlantic British guy said he would send me an OEM belt. What a I got was indeed NOT an OEM belt, but a Dayco like the one I picked up from Advance... The Dayco from advance is a polycog, made in Canada, and the one from Atlantic British is a Dayco MARK IV, manufactured in Italy. Any recommendations one which is better, or is a belt a belt is a belt? I'll probably just keep both of them and turn whichever I don't choose into a spare.

Bit O' Advice if you are reading this. DiscoMike posts a message every now and then to call Tony at 650-365-4145. He is in Redwood City Cali and he ships anywhere, I should have used him for everything. He sends good, reliable parts, sometimes I wonder about the other parts stores. I use Advance for alot tho because I get a 10% military discount , their stuff is just more expensive sometimes.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: new water pump and serpentine belt

For what it is worth, use the factory pump, you don't want to use a cast iron pump on an alloy engine block.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: new water pump and serpentine belt

Good point, I forgot the engine itself was alloy.