Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs help selling

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If you post up some pictures of the frame/underside it would be a better indicator of overall condition, particularly the rear sub frame section. Very rust prone if not looked after.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey @For_Terry I'm located in Birmingham. I use the Auto Shop - Reid, the LR master tech knows his stuff. He's been nursing my 04' back to health and guiding me as I fumble along trying to repair what I can myself.

Shoot me a message if you have any specific questions. Happy to help. If you can elaborate on the running/ do no start issues that would be super helpful.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:02 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but I don't know much more. I tried to start it on Friday, but the battery was dead. I'll try again this week.

The owner (my friend's widow) thought that it had run out of gas, but it has a quarter tank. Come to think of it, if the gas is ~5 years old, I probably shouldn't try to start it, right?

Luke

mln01 said:
You said it hasn't run in years. Do you know anything more than that? Have you tried to start it? Does the engine run at all?

I don't recall any active forum members in Central Alabama, but maybe one of the forum admins has system access to filter members based on location info.

Last edited by For_Terry; 08-23-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:03 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the throwing some numbers out. That's helpful.

Luke

The Deputy said:
Pretty nice shape, unfortunately the front bumper is cracked. Not the most desirable color, in my opinion, and the fact that you don't know if it runs or why they quit driving...it would be in the, maybe, $1,500 range, sold as is (not running) and that's only because of mileage and most likely has a solid frame). Now, if you could find out why it was parked or if it runs and it does...then that's a game changer. If it runs and doesn't knock or make any other odd noises and doesn't over heat after 30/40 minutes of run time and drives nice...then $12/15K wouldn't be an unreasonable asking price.

Last edited by For_Terry; 08-23-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:37 PM
6th Gear

On Friday, I went over to my neighbors to meet a guy who was buying my deceased friend's tree stand. When the young guy pulled in, he made a bee-line for the Discovery, and he couldn't get over its great condition. He said that his dad is a retired Land Rover master mechanic, so he was pretty familiar with Land Rovers. He asked a couple of times what we want for it, but I said that I don't know its value yet.

So does anyone know of retired Land Rover technician Steve McQueen? His son said something about his dad bringing Land Rover to the U.S. decades ago. He may be another option, in addition to The Auto Shop that Andrew recommended.

Thanks,

Luke