Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power to low beams - checked everything

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 04:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No power to low beams - checked everything

Problem - Low beams do not work.
When I turn the indicator stalk to low beams the interior lights all turn on (backlight for dash/switches/etc). High beams & fog lights still work.

I’ve checked fuses, relays, and even took apart the indicator stalk to clean and confirm it works. Given that the interior lights turn on when I switch to low beams I don’t think it’s the stalk.

Am I missing something obvious or do I need to start following the wires looking for a bad ground?

I confirmed that the low beam wire at the headlight was not receiving power.

Afaik there are 2 relays to check and a couple fuses under the steering wheel.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

are the connectors corroded out? My indicator connectors have corroded out a few times now. Housing looks good but the internals are completely gone.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:50 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by whowa004
are the connectors corroded out? My indicator connectors have corroded out a few times now. Housing looks good but the internals are completely gone.

This is pre-cleaning. The copper is pretty worn down, but it Atleast sends a signal to turn on the interior night lights so the indicator is working.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:16 AM
TReK
Received 438 Likes on 364 Posts

Could be the connectors to the bulb. They can short out with old age. Mine did the same thing.

https://www.roverparts.com/electrical/headlights/6620R/

Old 02-05-2021, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Could be the connectors to the bulb. They can short out with old age. Mine did the same thing.

https://www.roverparts.com/electrical/headlights/6620R/
Did yours go out together? I overlooked this since high beams were working, but will check the wire. Other than checking for power at the wire, can I just test for continuity between plug and ground? Pretty novice when it comes to diagnosing electrical issues.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:16 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

It should be fairly obvious with just a visual inspection. And the high beam has it's own connector separate from the low beam.

The plastic shell on mine broke in half.

You should see any issues.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

The circuitry from the switch is pretty basic, one wire from switch goes to right headlight, passing through fuse 9 in fuse box and the other through fuse 10, these fuses are located in drivers compartment fuse box. If you turn on your headlights and dim them...fuses 9 & 10 should have 12 volts (both sides of fuse) and it travels from there to headlight socket. If you have no voltage at socket...then you have to check wiring harness or terminals within plug socket.

If you turn on headlights and you have no voltage at fuses 9 & 10...then it is most likely the switch. Having dash, dome, etc...have nothing to do with the circuit involving the headlights within the switch...so...just because those other circuits works...means basically nothing...other than we know they are working and getting voltage. Both low and high beams receive voltage to switch through fuseable link 10 in engine compartment fuse box...so...since high beams work...most likely fuseable link 10 is good.

Last edited by The Deputy; 02-06-2021 at 04:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris59 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by The Deputy
The circuitry from the switch is pretty basic, one wire from switch goes to right headlight, passing through fuse 9 in fuse box and the other through fuse 10, these fuses are located in drivers compartment fuse box. If you turn on your headlights and dim them...fuses 9 & 10 should have 12 volts (both sides of fuse) and it travels from there to headlight socket. If you have no voltage at socket...then you have to check wiring harness or terminals within plug socket.

If you turn on headlights and you have no voltage at fuses 9 & 10...then it is most likely the switch. Having dash, dome, etc...have nothing to do with the circuit involving the headlights within the switch...so...just because those other circuits works...means basically nothing...other than we know they are working and getting voltage. Both low and high beams receive voltage to switch through fuseable link 10 in engine compartment fuse box...so...since high beams work...most likely fuseable link 10 is good.
Checking for 12v at 9/10 cleared everything up. Need a new switch. Appreciate it!

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (02-11-2021)