Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark

Salutations Disco Lovers Everywhere

I have a 2002 Disco II SD with 160K+ miles on it. I am not the original owner but have had the vehicle for 2 zero problem years that is up until last week.

I was driving home from work doing around 65mph and the engine just shut down and I don't mean like it sputter to a stop, I mean it was like I turn off the ignition switch. So I coasted to the side of the road turned off the ignition and let it sit for about a minute turned the ignition back on and checked the gauges everything was fine including 3/4 of a tank of high test.

So I cranked the engine and it cranked strong but no start and no sounds of trying to start. So after screaming "What the BLOODY HELL" I popped the hood and started checking the fuses #1 Fuel Injectors,#2 Engine Management System and #10 Fuel Pump all were fine.

My tool box wasn't in the truck so that was all I could do to trouble shoot the problem. I got back in the truck and tried cranking the engine and the SOB stared right up and I drove the rest of the way home with no problems.

I turned the engine on and off a dozen times in a row with no problems and drove it back and forth to work the rest of the last week and this week also with no problems.

Until yesterday when the exact same thing happen but this time I wasn't so lucky it cranked strong but would not even try to start. I had to have it towed home.

As soon as I got home I put the battery on the charger and this morning I tried to turn it over, it cranked strong but no start.

So I Pulled a spark plug which was wet with gas and wedged it against the block and had my wife crank while I checked for spark. As soon a she turned the key the SOB fired right up with no hesitation I had her shut it down and I reinstalled the plug.

Then I restarted the engine and just let it run while I listened to it. I ran it for about 20 minutes and it ran smooth all cylinders firing, no missing, so I drove it around the block with no problems.

I pulled back in my driveway and turned off the ignition and just for s***s and giggles tried restarting it and guess what back to crank with no start. So I pulled the plug again and this time no spark!!! So now I know I'm definitely losing spark but I don't know why. Any ideas?

Last edited by scootch61; 06-14-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

crank shaft position sensor, $80, dangle from above to re-install. Long pair of needlenose pliers will help. Goes block+sensor+spacers+nuts. These parts come off, then go back on same way. Page from Bosch manual attached.

Attached Thumbnails No spark-8670811103_049c59c01a.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (1.55 MB, 221 views)
Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Great write up, but way to long. I realize you are new on the site, but if you had taken 1/2 the time required to write that very long thread and just did an in forum search, you would have found your answer, Crank Sensor, and already would be replacing it.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, but for every one that is verbose we have others that are so short you would think they have to pay by the character in their data plan.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree, and if they would just take a few minutes to search, he would have had his answer a lot sooner.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Overlanding

Hello ALL and Hi DISCO Mike!
My DISCO is experiencing the same issue for 3 days now.
I searched the thread and found this from user: lowapr

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...n-37248/page2/

I followed each step.
I can hear my fuel pump so that is not the culprit!
Did the same TS like what scootch61 did - unplug one wire - put a spark plug - checked for spark - THERE IS NO SPARK and this is after changing the Crank Position Sensor. I even bought a second CPS as I was thinking that I purchased a defective CPS.
My local mechanic advised me to get a new CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR which is around $270 PLUS...but that is shooting in the dark.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

JOEinAZ

Old 06-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Ok il b short 4u mike. Thx 4 the help every1

cul8r
scootch

ps lol

Old 06-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by joejacintoaz
Hello ALL and Hi DISCO Mike!
My DISCO is experiencing the same issue for 3 days now.
I searched the thread and found this from user: lowapr

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...n-37248/page2/

I followed each step.
I can hear my fuel pump so that is not the culprit!
Did the same TS like what scootch61 did - unplug one wire - put a spark plug - checked for spark - THERE IS NO SPARK and this is after changing the Crank Position Sensor. I even bought a second CPS as I was thinking that I purchased a defective CPS.
My local mechanic advised me to get a new CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR which is around $270 PLUS...but that is shooting in the dark.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

JOEinAZ

Cam sensor will not cause a no spark or no start problem.

Most common issue is putting the crank sensor in wrong. Another issue is a bad fuse box.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Overlanding

Thanks JAFIR for the quick response. For what I read through all the CAM SENSOR post/thread - I agree that the CAM SENSOR wont cause a no spark.
But how could you possibly put the crank sensor incorrectly? The wire connector goes in one way - when the old crank sensor removed - I made sure to it that the spacer goes in first then the bolt.

I checked all the FUSE BOX from the hood and the drivers side kick panel and are all in working order. (Did use a fuse tester -) I even swapped the relays around.....
I am at this threads disposal -

Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

The CKP installation is block+sensor+spacer+nuts. People put it in wrong about half the time. If wrong spacing, it won't generate the pulse that triggers the spark. About $80 at store.

Cam shaft sensor has a default fall back, truck will limp without it.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-14-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: No spark