Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd Oil Light

I replaced my oil pump (my previous one was fine, but I was replacing the front oil seal, and grabbed the oil and water pumps while in there).

I took the fuel pump fuse out and spun it a few times on reassebly after I had filled up the filter and the sump with the right amount of oil. Have put about 500 ish miles on it since then, and just yesterday noticed that on start up, the normal dash lights come on.. then after about 30 seconds, typically after I am already rolling down the road, the light comes on for 2 seconds, then goes back out. The two times this has happened, the car has basically been idling along out the driveway, so not alot of throttle in play. I checked the oil level (fine), for leaks (none) and the connection to the oil pressure pump. Any ideas? Only thing I could think of is that maybe the brake cleaner I used to clean up timing cover when it was off may have affected something, but I wouldn't think it's that consistant... thoughts?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A manual oil PSI test would be a good thing to try. The oil switch triggers at about 7 PSI. You could also have a stray ground (skinned wire) that comes and goes. You can test that theory by removing plug from oil pressure switch, it won't light up on power up, but if it repeats while driving you'll know it is wiring related.

Of course you run the risk that it is not wiring, you did not scrub any insulation off while wrenching, etc., and that engine is actually loosing pressure.

So do you want to drive around with 23 pounds? Or just replace the switch. But if you don't test you may not realize until later, when engine damage has happened.

I think it was a poor design choice for Rover to not have an oil PSI gauge.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Mudding

I guess the other question I have is related to a couple comments on the 2003 model (mine is 2004) but in reference to grinding off the 'dowels' to fit the oil pumps... when I put the oil pump on, I am not sure I remeber any 'dowels'... any idea what folks are refering to?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

see http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2...e-failure.html and read notes from responses at the bottom.

And http://www.landroverresource.com/docs/lrna_tsb.pdf for VIN range.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-27-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Mudding

just went out and changed the filter.... on the offchance it was clogged... and once I re did it and started the car, it seems worse.. when I am backing up and the RPM bogs down a bit, seems to exacerbate the light coming on....but when its in park, and RPM is slightly up and seems fine... almost like it's getting worse... Neat!

So with regard to the dowels, is it an issue of installing something, or just sliding the cover back on...

I did replace the O ring on the pick up... I just got one from the autoparts store that fit tightly... is there something else I should be doing other than shooting this damn thing?

Last edited by 04BluDisco; 01-27-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BluDisco
just went out and changed the filter.... on the offchance it was clogged... and once I re did it and started the car, it seems worse.. when I am backing up and the RPM bogs down a bit, seems to exacerbate the light coming on....but when its in park, and RPM is slightly up and seems fine... almost like it's getting worse... Neat!

So with regard to the dowels, is it an issue of installing something, or just sliding the cover back on...

I did replace the O ring on the pick up... I just got one from the autoparts store that fit tightly... is there something else I should be doing other than shooting this damn thing?
I remember somebody complaining when they replaced their O ring on the pickup and used a generic one from a local auto parts store. It didn't sit right or it fell apart......something like that. But it did not work. That's for sure. This is just opinion. Maybe double check and replace with the OEM one? If it does not sit right, it is just going to be loosing pressure on there.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know what to think about the bogging down part, but cut open the old oil filter and see if there is aluminum flakes in it (chewed up front cover in the filter material).

Might also consider pull and inspect the relief valve on the side of the cover. Info attached for review.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 oil pump relief valve.pdf (869.8 KB, 81 views)