Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 01:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by Dervish
Any better(cheaper) shipping options avail, than on the website?
I know I'm behind a lot of water, but 60 dollars for shipping feels a bit steep...
Man don't I wish there were cheaper options. I reached out to all the major distributors in EU and down under no one was interested in buying in bulk to distribute cheaper locally. I could probably ship 20 for the same price, its not the weight as much as it is the distance. Had a customer in NZ pay nearly $110 US to ship it to him. Unfortunately Postal is not a solution because they won't track on a postal service handoff, so if they lose it then its just gone and I have to replace it and at the cost of shipping all profit would be wiped out. The worst part is Canada is almost as bad and that is 100% ground service. I think some of the issue is the cost of customs handling going in to these other countries, but thats just a guess.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:41 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dervish
Any better(cheaper) shipping options avail, than on the website?
I know I'm behind a lot of water, but 60 dollars for shipping feels a bit steep...
While Extinct has answered, I'll answer from a more expert background, having written international shipping applications for companies such as Time Warner and Warner Bros.
Extinct doesn't do nearly enough international business to negotiate rates. This means he is stuck with the ridiculously high standard rates. It will cost him $60 for what Time Warner can ship for $10 overnight. Huge volume = huge discounts.
You may be able to part out Extinct's package and purchase it locally, and save a ton of money.
I've parsed out what it would cost to replicate it here in the US and frankly, Extinct is not making much on each sale, even taking into account a discount. The big advantage is that it's one package, that can be easily installed in a couple of hours, by someone not super mechanically inclined. It's a good method by which to learn about your cooling loop. It's not the prettiest, but it is very good for what it is, and it works.

If you have questions, on parts or how to go about doing the mod yourself, the forum will be happy to help. For example, there is a Gates hose that can replace splicing the two hoses together. I'll lookup the part number later and post it here.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:46 AM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks @Extinct and @Xanthro .

I will order up the kit at some point before summer and pay up what needs to be paid.
It's not that big of an issue that I would start finding other solutions and as a support also for Extinct being active here.

It's just that at some point the delivery costs for "small parts" keep stacking up, as there are a few of them flying around to me at the moment

Old 02-02-2023, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanthro
While Extinct has answered, I'll answer from a more expert background, having written international shipping applications for companies such as Time Warner and Warner Bros.
Extinct doesn't do nearly enough international business to negotiate rates. This means he is stuck with the ridiculously high standard rates. It will cost him $60 for what Time Warner can ship for $10 overnight. Huge volume = huge discounts.
You may be able to part out Extinct's package and purchase it locally, and save a ton of money.
I've parsed out what it would cost to replicate it here in the US and frankly, Extinct is not making much on each sale, even taking into account a discount. The big advantage is that it's one package, that can be easily installed in a couple of hours, by someone not super mechanically inclined. It's a good method by which to learn about your cooling loop. It's not the prettiest, but it is very good for what it is, and it works.

If you have questions, on parts or how to go about doing the mod yourself, the forum will be happy to help. For example, there is a Gates hose that can replace splicing the two hoses together. I'll lookup the part number later and post it here.
The Gates hose is 22073

Old 02-02-2023, 06:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by YETIX
The Gates hose is 22073
Looked at these, thought about making it a part of the kit. Here's the math I came to. Average D2 buyer gets a 20 yo truck, hoses need to be replaced anyway. They buy a new set of a factory hoses and now have a spare set. If send the gates hose, no way to use his spare hose. Include the bushing, he can use new hoses and old hoses work as a spare. They can still buy gates hose locally of course and throw bushing in to the back with the old hoses.

The following users liked this post:
YETIX (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 06:34 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Extinct
Looked at these, thought about making it a part of the kit. Here's the math I came to. Average D2 buyer gets a 20 yo truck, hoses need to be replaced anyway. They buy a new set of a factory hoses and now have a spare set. If send the gates hose, no way to use his spare hose. Include the bushing, he can use new hoses and old hoses work as a spare. They can still buy gates hose locally of course and throw bushing in to the back with the old hoses.
Totally makes sense

Old 02-03-2023, 06:11 AM
Camel Trophy

One last thought on the shipping internationally. I have noticed that US government personnel stationed abroad can ship to their location using normal USPS priority mail (about $9), so if you have friend in the US government employ stationed nearby maybe you can ship it to them

Old 02-04-2023, 07:56 PM
Mudding

When you say to put some "silicone sealant" on the temperature plug, what type of silicone sealant do you recommend?

Old 02-05-2023, 06:46 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by YETIX
When you say to put some "silicone sealant" on the temperature plug, what type of silicone sealant do you recommend?
Automotive grade, does not have to be anything special, whatever is cheapest works fine. Better than teflon tape or pipe sealant.

The following users liked this post:
YETIX (02-05-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 10:15 PM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Well, finally hit the order button and got a nice round order number

The following 2 users liked this post by Dervish:
DiscoID (02-28-2023), YETIX (02-28-2023)

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread