Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 01:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntnceguy
Curious if anyone has come up with a better replacement upper hose than OE? Just being lazy, I suppose I could go to the parts store and ask to rummage thru the hoses to find one that'd work, I was just hoping someone else had already done that. Seems like the OE hose is soft and swells a lot, so are the URO replacements. Besides that, you always have to buy the whole 3 hose thing, and now with the inline thermostat, you don't need it. I'd just like a more trustworthy hose that doesn't swell like it's gonna fall apart
I use the gates flex hoses. They are dirt cheap and tough as nails. They have stainless wire wound into them.

The following users liked this post:
Mntnceguy (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Received 1,150 Likes on 795 Posts

@Mntnceguy Pretty much go to the parts store and find one, you need to fit the thermostat then take the hoses and see what they can match up

@RoverMasterTech The BMW hose would not work on my 04, it was the right part number but was way off. And my adjusted stock hoses are fine, I did a hose refresh after my head gasket let go as the cooling system was over pressured but no issues there. I get you do not like it but it works and it works well for the cost. Actually getting a 2 part inline the allowed you to use any of the dozens angled second parts would be ideal but it simply does not exist. at least that I could find as a pair. There a number of LS applications that might work by combining them together,but I wanted something simple and easy to install and this met my criteria.

Seeing as you really seem to dislike this why don't you come up with a competing alternative, I know 3 people directly who have installed this kit with no issues or problems all of them owner's who happen to turn wrenches so it really can not be all that flawed.

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 05-08-2022 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jastutte (05-09-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 02:23 PM
Mudding
Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

If it helps anyone, I used a Gates #22073 hose from O'Reilly's for the lower radiator hose. Trimmed a small bit off it to fit, but otherwise it works perfect. Also gets rid of more bends, which if you know even a lil about hydrodynamics, bends are major flow restrictors. I have a 2004 4.6L D2 if that matters.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mntnceguy:
acg (05-08-2022), jastutte (05-09-2022), Richard Gallant (05-08-2022), whowa004 (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 12:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone ever used this style of thermostat?

Old 05-09-2022, 02:59 PM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mntnceguy
If it helps anyone, I used a Gates #22073 hose from O'Reilly's for the lower radiator hose. Trimmed a small bit off it to fit, but otherwise it works perfect. Also gets rid of more bends, which if you know even a lil about hydrodynamics, bends are major flow restrictors. I have a 2004 4.6L D2 if that matters.
You had to trim that Gates hose? I just installed the same hose and I didn't do any trimming, but I have the Allisport radiator, so that might be a difference.

Old 05-09-2022, 03:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 592 Likes on 335 Posts

I used this hose for the top. Silicone with wire in it. Seems very tough. https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/s...cone-hose.html

I did not get the cuffed hose but wished I didn’t as the uncuffed one was hard to get installed because of the wire all the way through it.

The following 2 users liked this post by cvhyatt:
Mntnceguy (05-09-2022), Richard Gallant (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 08:37 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extinct,
My first post and I haven’t yet introduced myself proper, but I installed the kit last night on my 2000 D2 and ran in to issue. Could you please contact me when you have the chance. Contact info in order #412 or pm me please.

Seems like a quality kit and I look forward to running it after I sort it out.

Thanks,

Aggie Rover
(Bryan Mills)

Old 05-11-2022, 12:30 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,462 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Emailed ya, happy to help.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:54 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggie Rover
Extinct,
My first post and I haven’t yet introduced myself proper, but I installed the kit last night on my 2000 D2 and ran in to issue. Could you please contact me when you have the chance. Contact info in order #412 or pm me please.

Seems like a quality kit and I look forward to running it after I sort it out.

Thanks,

Aggie Rover
(Bryan Mills)
There are dozen's of us on the board who have installed the mod, so if you post a question, you'll have a wealth of information available to help solve your issue.

Old 05-11-2022, 02:28 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Xanthro, Thank you for the comment and offer. The installation went fine. The issue I had was with the T-stat housing itself. There was a slight casting defect that was undetectable until the system pressurized, causing a slight leak. I wanted to give Tim (Extinct) a chance to respond first and boy did he.

Tim took the time to send me an email at 2:00 am this morning, a second later in the morning and we talked on the phone for a good half hour. He listened to my issue and a new housing is on the way, no questions asked. He also went out of his way to offer Some general useful Disco advice, as I’m new to the community. He is a standup guy in my book!

I’ll post temp results when I’m up and running and at some point I’ll figure out how to update my profile with vehicle info.

Aggie Rover

Quick Reply: The Official Extinct Inline Thermostat Mod Thread