Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 11:14 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Just listened to video and it sounds worse than a minor upper end tick, sorry.

Have you checked your oil condition and level?

Could it be that your truck was consuming oil and now it’s almost empty?

Or you could be pulling oil in the cylinders from the valley pan side causing misfires.

Last edited by abran; 12-24-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
You definitely have an oil pressure issue based on ticking. The ticking can be caused by the pump failing and not getting enough pressure to the top end or could be caused by a walked cam bearing not allowing the pressure to reach the top.

To rule out cam bearing you can drop the pan and get a look at them from underneath. Next step is front cover, pan needs to come off for that to come off anyways.

Bummer.
How in the hell is he supposed the get a peak at cam bearings after pulling the pan? Did you forget to mention that he would have to drop the entire rotating assembly? I included a pic.

But let’s not get this guy off track. All signs are pointing the the oil pump.

Attached Thumbnails Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start-c7c46431-61c9-4ea4-8b17-23cd6076d764.png  
Old 12-24-2017, 11:40 PM
Baja

If the cam bearing has walked you can see it through the rotating assembly.

If he wants to get to the oil pump/front cover, pan needs to come off anyways, so this is not getting him off track, it’s a step towards the oil pump.

I don’t have enough patience to look through thousands of my photos to show examples. So no pic included.

Last edited by abran; 12-24-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:45 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

"... it’s a step towards the oil pump."

And also a good time to remove/clean the oil pick-up tube/screen.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:45 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I change my oil every 3,000 with Rotella 15w-40. Last change was roughly 2,500 miles ago. I check oil level every week and right now its full. I checked when the engine was cold. I do have a minor oil leak at the drain plugs where the threads are giving way, but Ive been keeping sharp eye on it.

So it looks like the misfires are back yet again. Seems like every so often they come back and I have to replace the wires and plugs every time. Im getting sick and tired of reaching back behind the upper intake plenum.... I just sent Turner another email. Last time I had misfires they suggested I pull the engine and inspect the flex plate for damages and verify that it was installed correctly. I talked to Don Trudeau about this and he said that was bull**** because the flex plate can only be installed one way. He showed me a spare flex plate he had lying around...

Guess Im at crossroads here. I have 2k saved up for an much anticipated engine swap over into a donor rust free truck. But its in NC and obviously my truck is not drivable anymore. Oil pressure sender units are dirt cheap and I can purchase a oil pressure tester Tuesday after the holidays but I feel like it wont make much a difference. Obviously something mechanical is the issue. Be it the oil pump or the entire block is bad. I expected much more from a new remnaufactured top hat lined engine. If even these are prone to failure then there really is no hope for these vehicles.

Crossroads.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:49 PM
Baja

Sounds like the coil pack relocation would be good for you, but you have bigger fish to fry.

I am really sorry this is happening to you, it sucks.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Following. Intently.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:58 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by TRIARII

So it looks like the misfires are back yet again. Seems like every so often they come back and I have to replace the wires and plugs every time. Im getting sick and tired of reaching back behind the upper intake plenum.... I just sent Turner another email. Last time I had misfires they suggested I pull the engine and inspect the flex plate for damages and verify that it was installed correctly. I talked to Don Trudeau about this and he said that was bull**** because the flex plate can only be installed one way. He showed me a spare flex plate he had lying around... .
So we are talking the same language. The flex plate is smooth and connects the torque converter to the engine. The ring gear/flywheel is what the crank position sensor is reading and any damage to it’s teeth or improper installation could cause misfiring issues, so Turner is not crazy.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:05 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Sounds like the coil pack relocation would be good for you, but you have bigger fish to fry.
I am really sorry this is happening to you, it sucks.
No doubt, but I think at this time the most prudent thing to do is grab some beer and

Old 12-25-2017, 12:15 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

So we are talking the same language. The flex plate is smooth and connects the torque converter to the engine. The ring gear/flywheel is what the crank position sensor is reading and any damage to it’s teeth or improper installation could cause misfiring issues, so Turner is not crazy.
I had hoped to take a look at the flex plate once the engine was removed for the swap over into the donor next week. If it was in fact damaged Id be able to source one from Tarheel Rovers since hes the seller of the donor truck. But alas this truck is on its deathbed and theres no way in hell Im getting her to NC like this unless it turns out to be something stupid simple. The misfires come and go as stated before. Can be many months in between. Replacing wires and plugs seems to remedy the misfires but they keep coming back I guess. If the flex plate is damaged, wouldnt it be a constant misfire, constant issues? Keep in mind this is my daily driver.

Quick Reply: Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start