Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 05:30 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

The truck is being towed to a local shop and will be diagnosed tomorrow. I contacted Lucky 8 and ordered valve cover gaskets, upper intake plenum gasket, oil pressure switch and oil pump rebuild kit. Picked up some engine oil, filter and coolant from Walmart and now we wait. Im planning for the worse.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

I’m not sure what the kit comes with, but You need an oil pan gasket, oil pick up tube o ring, and make sure the shop packs the pump with Vaseline to aid in getting instant oil pressure.

Also, if the pump is broken you need a new front cover.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

When did you do the diesel swap?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry to hear this Julian. What a monumental kick to the crotch.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:37 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I contacted Lucky 8 and ordered valve cover gaskets, upper intake plenum gasket, oil pressure switch and oil pump rebuild kit.
What happened to your well-documented, public trash talking of Lucky 8 that you've suddenly decided to do business with them again? It's a testament to their professionalism that they'd even take your order after all the false and misguided trash you posted about them. You also recently published a long screed about how ordering from Craddock in England was the only way to go. What happened there?

Last edited by Vermonster909; 12-27-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Vermonster909
What happened to your well-documented, public trash talking of Lucky 8 that you've suddenly decided to do business with them again? It's a testament to their professionalism that they'd even take your order after all the false and misguided trash you posted about them. You also recently published a long screed about how ordering from Craddock in England was the only way to go. What happened there?
Sometimes actions speak louder than words and in this case, clearly Lucky8 are demonstrating their value to the NAS Land Rover community through a commitment to getting parts to their customers when they really need them.

I'm not sure that you meant your comment to come off as a twist of the knife or not, but scoring points when someone is clearly in a really tough spot seems contrary to the spirit of community on which classic and niche car sites are built.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:52 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I’m not sure what the kit comes with, but You need an oil pan gasket, oil pick up tube o ring, and make sure the shop packs the pump with Vaseline to aid in getting instant oil pressure.

Also, if the pump is broken you need a new front cover.
Parts ordered. When the pump arrives Ill give the shop a call and forward the tip about Vaseline. Anyone have the part number for the 2004 oil pump front cover in case I need it?

Old 12-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
. I'm not sure that you meant your comment to come off as a twist of the knife or not, but scoring points when someone is clearly in a really tough spot seems contrary to the spirit of community on which classic and niche car sites are built.
My point is that Julian has a long, documented history of making unfounded, unfair, cheap shots at this particular supplier, as well as other North American specialty Rover parts suppliers. He's said he wouldn't order from them again. So I'm wondering what changed for him to suddenly decide to do business with them again. Julian also has a long, documented history of coming on to this and other Rover forums, telling his (usually self-induced) tales of woe, and then rudely telling most everyone who has tried to help him that they're wrong and misinformed when they've offered him polite, sound advice about his crisis of the moment. This has been going on for years.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Vermonster909
My point is that Julian has a long, documented history of making unfounded, unfair, cheap shots at this particular supplier, as well as other North American specialty Rover parts suppliers. He's said he wouldn't order from them again. So I'm wondering what changed for him to suddenly decide to do business with them again. Julian also has a long, documented history of coming on to this and other Rover forums, telling his (usually self-induced) tales of woe, and then rudely telling most everyone who has tried to help him that they're wrong and misinformed when they've offered him polite, sound advice about his crisis of the moment. This has been going on for years.

Clearly what has changed is that he's now in a very difficult situation and probably now seeing the value in Stateside parts suppliers. I'm still unclear on why you feel the need to crow about it. The guys motor just lunched itself at the most inconvenient time possible.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Parts ordered. When the pump arrives Ill give the shop a call and forward the tip about Vaseline. Anyone have the part number for the 2004 oil pump front cover in case I need it?
Part# LJR000220 + ERR7280

Confirm with your VIN beforehand

(and I'd call Lucky8 first)

https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...t-cover-gasket

Engine Front Cover (Part # LJR000220) - Land Rover Discovery Series II

https://www.lrdirect.com/LJR000220-C...SAAEgJh1vD_BwE

Quick Reply: Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start