Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 12:21 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Cant say for sure that a slightly damaged ring gear would manifest in constant misfires.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:28 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

So how difficult is it to replace the oil pump outside in the snow? Any special tools required or measuring devices? I found this gear kit Oil Pump Gear Kit With Gaskets For Land Rover And Range Rover if the pump needs to be replaced and the job can be done in 2 days I might give it a shot. Have no idea what Id be getting into but willing to learn.

Is there any way for me to inspect the flex plate on my own? Will dropping the oil pan be helpful in getting to the bottom of the issues Im having?

Old 12-25-2017, 02:41 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

AlexM did a write up. Find that.

To be clear, again. The flex plate would not cause misfires. The ring gear might.

Flex plate:

Ring gear:

Motor or trans needs to come out to properly inspect.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

After listening to the videos, I'd quit starting it, you're only creating more damage.

If you had a silent engine and low oil pressure light...I'd say check the sender.

But, you have a rattling engine, which sounds to be upper end (valve train) and a low oil pressure light...this means you have an issue with oil pressure.

Right now, you may be getting enough oil pressure to lubricate the lower end (crank bearings), but not enough to push oil to the upper end. But, this could change instantly...and then you have bigger problems...SO...stop starting that engine.

Tow it to a garage, where you can pull the oil pan and front cover. You must know someone that has a garage where you can do this, granted...you may have to remove your rack to get into a normal two car garage.

Changing the front pump assembly is doable out side, in the snow, but you'd get much better results doing it inside a garage...or having it done professionally.

Good luck.

Brian.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Also, look on the bright side...at least you have the money already for repairs. Yes, the original plans for it was the frame...but most-likely...this frame is going nowhere soon...and you can pursue this adventure at a later date.

Surely, not much of a Christmas present from the old rover.

Brian.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Could it be not enough oil at some lifters causing noise and misfires? New pump should fix that. It sounds like you have spent quite a bit of money on this engine in only over a year ago. It should all be fresh. I would do the oil pump first (cam is fresh, should be ok but check anyway). A problem should be obvious on removal.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

See that's how my darn 04 S D2 should sound with it's oil light that flickers or stays on under 750RPM, but nope it's engine sound never changes. Quiet and completely smooth, I'm going to rig up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what the hell is really going on with my 04.

On your video that engine is running without oil getting to the top end. I'd pull the timing cover and inspect the pump. It could also be a clogged pickup tube or a bad pickup tube O-Ring. I had a 97 RR Vitesse that had low oil pressure light and the nut securing the pickup tube fell off and caused the pickup tube O-Ring to fail. Got a 72K special edition RR for 12K because everyone quoted the owner a new engine. 50.00 after parts and new oil = no more engine problems and I put 92K on it afterwards.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (06-02-2019)
Old 12-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you keep running it with an obvious oil pressure problem? You've no doubt worsended things if not having created additional damage letting it run like that. Its next trip should be a winching on to the back of a flatbed to Don's shop.
So much for the "superiority" of the Turner product. 190k problem free miles on my DII's Atlantic British short block.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:09 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
See that's how my darn 04 S D2 should sound with it's oil light that flickers or stays on under 750RPM, but nope it's engine sound never changes. Quiet and completely smooth, I'm going to rig up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what the hell is really going on with my 04.

On your video that engine is running without oil getting to the top end. I'd pull the timing cover and inspect the pump. It could also be a clogged pickup tube or a bad pickup tube O-Ring. I had a 97 RR Vitesse that had low oil pressure light and the nut securing the pickup tube fell off and caused the pickup tube O-Ring to fail. Got a 72K special edition RR for 12K because everyone quoted the owner a new engine. 50.00 after parts and new oil = no more engine problems and I put 92K on it afterwards.
We have roughly 2 feet of snow outside and temps are expected to drop to -11 for the next few days so I may decide to have the truck towed to a local shop. So the oil pump assembly needs to be inspected and the oil pan dropped so the oil pickup tube can also be inspected. Anything else I should have the mechanic look at? Im concerned about top end damage.

I may decide to do nothing further with this truck and count my losses. I already gave Mike of Tarheel Rovers $1,600. Have another $2k saved up. In a worse case scenario I blow $2k to have a shop diagnose the engine problems, then walk away broke and without a vehicle. Thus the NC trip and the engine swap will be off and Mike will not be likely to refund me the $1600 I sent him in advance. As for the ring gear. Even if it is damaged or installed improperly I have a strong suspicion that neither Turner nor the mechanic that did the labor will take responsibility. I cant even imagine how the ring gear could have been damaged. My old engine never misfired and had no major issues. It may be best to just call it quits and look for a cargo van. Ill have to think **** over. Just wish the engine held together until I got to NC when it would have been pulled out anyways.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,011 Posts

How did this problem start? Three most probable problems are slipped cam bearing, worn crank bearings, or broken oil pump. Best case scenario is a broken oil pump - if this came on suddenly that is the most likely scenario. If it was this way immediately after the rebuild, pop the valve covers and tighten the rocker bolts - if they are loose there will be no oil pressure. Next is to pull the pan and front cover and see if the oil pump is broken or the cam bearings have slipped (do a search).

If it is not those you have a bigger problem, not insurmountable but a full machine shop rebuild is the best recommendation.

If you need a garage, you might think about a self storage unit - 10x20 will fit a Rover. $200 for a month, use some $40 halogen lights and they will heat the unit.

If the rest of it is in good shape, you might be able to get 1-2k out of it by parting it.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Oil lamp and ticking at 170k: Suggestions on where to start