Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Light Intermittently popping up at idle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021 | 03:53 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Extinct
You need a different mechanic, is he a LR specialty shop? Never take a LR anywhere but a specialty shop.
The only one nearby is "understaffed" as they told me when I was able to get in contact with them a few months back. Since then I've tried calling multiple times and they don't even pick up their phone. It's odd for mechanics to turn away potential money? Lol.

Either way, this usual shop I take the Discovery to; they've done a good job on it in the past. They're definitely honest about things. I was quoted $3000 at a different shop nearby for the oil pump and water pump but refused since I wasn't interested in dishing out the money at that time.

Luckily the D2 I own isn't a daily driver. It's not like these things need to be done immediately. Preferably in the future though, yes.

Either way:
If the engine is on its way out, might as well just use it until it can't start anymore, I guess. If it's cheaper to just go that route rather than "20 hours of labor" which they recommended not even doing, then that's fine with me.

Old 07-01-2021 | 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by gleepglorp
The only one nearby is "understaffed" as they told me when I was able to get in contact with them a few months back. Since then I've tried calling multiple times and they don't even pick up their phone. It's odd for mechanics to turn away potential money? Lol.

Either way, this usual shop I take the Discovery to; they've done a good job on it in the past. They're definitely honest about things. I was quoted $3000 at a different shop nearby for the oil pump and water pump but refused since I wasn't interested in dishing out the money at that time.

Luckily the D2 I own isn't a daily driver. It's not like these things need to be done immediately. Preferably in the future though, yes.

Either way:
If the engine is on its way out, might as well just use it until it can't start anymore, I guess. If it's cheaper to just go that route rather than "20 hours of labor" which they recommended not even doing, then that's fine with me.

$3000 for oil pump and water no way. I’m in Canada and paid $1700 for oil pump and timing cover at a well known landy shop high end car shop

Old 07-02-2021 | 01:32 AM
Camel Trophy

Bought a truck last year with a oil pressure issue at idle, 150k on the clock. Engine out, broken oil pump. Bearing in the bottom end had a little wear, but I saw no reason it would not go another 100k with with a new oil pump. I would not just assume your engine is on the way out. Two years ago got one with an oil pressure issue, walked cam bearing. A little bit bigger repair, but engine ran great after repair. Get the oil pan off and see what is going on, have him look for walked cam bearings and if there are none proceed ahead with oil pump removal. If there are, well you might have a decision to make as that is a pretty big repair.

Last edited by Extinct; 07-02-2021 at 01:34 AM.