Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump cover/gears replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump cover/gears replacement questions

I have an '03 disco in the death VIN range. Had it for about 6 months. I've installed a oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on it, and recently the oil light would stay on for a few seconds longer than normal at start-up. Maybe an extra 5 seconds. It wasn't at zero according to myh gauage, but would kick up to operating range in a few seconds.

The day before it read:

40-50 cold idle, 55-60 cold 2000 rpm (depending on outside temp)
20 hot idle, 50 hot 2000 rpm

Tried to start it today and the light stayed on and gauge read 6 psi, then went to nothing. Turned it off, and started it again, same result. Luckily this all happened in my driveway and I did not drive anywhere, and only idled for 2 minutes. I'm going to pull it in the garage and fix it.

Is there a write-up on replacing the oil pump? didnt' see on when searching.

Do I need both the cover ($700) and gear kit ($110)? Hoping I don't, but don't want to re-do it if my pump is bad.

Looks like I should do water pump too? It had one done at 60K according to dealership reciepts.

Truck runs great otherwise, and it is cheaper than a car payments. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy

Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If you buy a cover, it has the oil pump gears built in.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get the gear set There aer several write ups on what to replace and how to's you may consider Timing chain and gears while the cover is off. Easier to do them now once it is apart.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The hard part will be getting it apart. You must dismount fan clutch, and crank pulley, both tasks that have called forth foul language and ingenuity from those DIYers involved. Search and read several posts before starting.

BTW, 0.0 pressure is very unusual, could be other items involved besides pump. Blocked defective filter, restricted oil cooler, pickup fell off inside oil pan, etc.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-09-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go to British Parts of Utah for good quality oil pump repair kit and chain set.
Make sure to flush your engine and switch over to Peak or some other coolant, also add a bottle of Water Wetter, Purple Ice of BG's Super Cool to keep your engine running cooler.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

How many miles on it? Keep us updated to your progress and good luck.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Drifting

It is about 500 miles short of 100K. Bought it with 87K on it and full dealer done repairs documented (Head gasket, water pump, Shuttle valve, etc.) I will keep the everyone updated. I have time this week to start to take it apart. Mine did have a considerable tick since I bought it, so maybe I'll get lucky and find the culprit while I'm in there.

That would really be cool if I did not need the cover ($$). Also, I will switch to Peak Global. I have a new Thermostat on the workbench already, and have just done the leaky throttle body heater.

These are time when it pays to have a 3rd vehicle in the family. I can park it and take the time to fix it right.

Thanks,
Troy

Last edited by zukilj20; 04-09-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I made a thread a while back ("Doing a Major 100k service this month") and I took some pictures and stuff during it. I think the oil pump stuff is on page 6 if you want to check it out.

You must dismount fan clutch, and crank pulley, both tasks that have called forth foul language and ingenuity from those DIYers involved.
If you take the time to take the radiator out then you can get an impact gun on the crank pulley bolt and it will come right out. I don't think that you have the oil cooler so it will make taking the radiator out that much easier.

The fan clutch nut has normal threads (right handed) so just hit the wrench a few good times to the left and it should come loose.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I did mine in the driveway with 6" of snow on the ground. The weather sucked but the job wasnt that bad. Getting the pan out is kind of a pain in the **** but my jack stands werent the tallest. I ended up just jacking it up a little more with the jack until I got it out then dropped it back down. Amazingly it took 4 hours of cursing and throwing things before I thought of it. I played my idiot card on that one. Im not even sure if you have to drop the pan but mine had a leak.

What kind of oil pressure gauge did you go with?

Last edited by shonuff93; 04-09-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Three Wheeling

You might want to think about pulling the dowel pins out b4 putting it back together also!

Quick Reply: oil pump cover/gears replacement questions