Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:57 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 947 Likes on 636 Posts

Engine flushes are gimmicks. No need at all. Different kinds of oils mix just fine. That's actually exactly what "synthetic blend" oils are.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Well if you want a synthetic with a good bit of zzdp, royal purple 15w-40 has testing shown between 1200-1300 on a f-350 and that was based off of used oil samples. I know it's high as hell and a synthetic but you can get it on amazon pretty cheap in a 5 gallon jug for about $140. Now that's cheap compared to buying it at oreily's and other chain stores. I hope shell didn't screw up on this on

Old 12-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Pro Wrench

Well if you want a synthetic with a good bit of zddp, royal purple 15w-40 has testing shown between 1200-1300 on a f-350 and that was based off of used oil samples. I know it's high as hell and a synthetic but you can get it on amazon pretty cheap in a 5 gallon jug for about $140. Now that's cheap compared to buying it at oreily's and other chain stores. I hope shell didn't screw up on this on

Old 12-18-2016, 09:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

A little more reading has convinced me that in 2017 the reasons that most rover owners with flat tappet cams went to Rotella will evaporate. I'm more concerned about our diesels. Since we buy large quantities I think this is going to be an expensive change.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 12-18-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:28 AM
Pro Wrench

Don't know if anybody uses Lucas products but here is a copy of the zinc levels in their various oil. I know they have a Dino oil for diesels.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 06:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

that's a good posting. the HD 15w-40 cj4 is comparable to the Rotella, I believe. I always add a quart of the Lucas HD oil stabilizer to my Rotella in the warmer months. An old Rover guy who has owned Discos his whole life recommends adding the Bardahl's brand stabilizer (for oil pump function) and Lucas was the next best thing that I could find.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
when I first switched to Synth I used Mobile 1 and leaked all over the place. I have been using Rotella T6 for 4 years now and really happy with performance although i know little about oil. I am learning a lot from you guys. bottom of the engine little oily not sure where that is coming from. at some point I want to change the gasket on the oil Pan but looks pain in the neck.

I am still contemplating if I want to stay with T6 or switch to conventional.

I think a lot of oil leaks on your rover come from the front crank seal behind the harmonic balancer. it leaks there and blows down the oil pan. I'm taking my engine apart and the amount of oil and coolant leaking everywhere is F***%ng impressive... I just see the $$$ amount going up and a direct correlation with down time as I can't pull cash out of my ...

Old 12-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Very nice of Lucas for posting the Zinc contents. Shell needs to get on this...

I like Rotella also because its so readily available and cheap at any Walmart. I have a hard time believing that the new T4 does not have similar levels of ZDDP than the T6 (which is confirmed @ 1150 ppm, plenty for our engine).

Still waiting on a virgin oil analysis.

If all else fails, then I think going to T6 is a viable option as I'm fresh off a rebuild.

And for what its worth, I was the guy that called Shell to confirm the ZDDP, and I spoke to Technical Support... so it wasn't a sales rep who may be less informed.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 12-19-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystic Oil

Mystic JT8 15W40 Synthetic blend has higher levels of ZDDP or roughly the same as Rotella. It can be hard to find but found at all Tractor Supply Locations. My research has shown and I've also heard it has better detergents than Rotella. They are cagey as to the exact type of detergents but at least their SDS (MSDS) show more than the average large companies. What we all need to remember is that there are only a handful of oil lubricant companies in the US. However they have individual specs for each brand they mix and distribute. US Lubricants is one of the largest. When you go on their website and click brands on the menu you will be surprised at what name brand companies come out of that plant. For passenger car oils there's beginning to be little to no difference between brands. Diesels are beginning to tighten as well thanks to the overbearing EPA. However ZDDP levels, moly, calcium, and magnesium and other additives for corrosion and sludge inhibitors vary between brands. You have to dig deep but the information is out there. Once you go down the rabbit while you'll never come out. This is how I ended up buying the Mystic oil from Tractor Supply. If you can still find it Valvoline Premium Blue also sometimes says Cummins on the bottle has some of the highest ZDDP levels as well. I bought both and will post both when I have lab tests run on them. What might schew the results is I bought the Mobil 1 301a extended filter and plan on changing it after the second or third oil change. Maybe just two this go around until labs confirm I can go farther on both fronts. If you have any other questions please ask.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

'Hard to find' is a dealbreaker for me. Every walmart has Rotella, it's cheap, and the right mix for our engine. On my latest trip there I saw that there's a Castrol diesel engine thats replaced rotella on the featured stand. Rotella is in the back now

The following users liked this post:
sayeedA (04-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil questions