Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:17 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystic 2.0

I forgot to say that I did an engine flush with Supertech along with Seafoam and Rislone in the gas tank at the same time. This provided me with a great cleaning of the systems in general. So great in fact I had carbon specks and chunks Shooting out my tailpipe. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Anyhow because of this I'm running Supertech 15W40 oil for the next 300 miles with the crap filter from Meineke before changing to what I said my plan is in my earlier post. I took over my Mom's 2000 Disco II a couple months ago and sold my 2011 Hyundai Sonata because I want to save up and pay cash for a almost New F250 in about 2-3 yrs. So yeah, I'm taking a risk and it needs some work including rear frame but to get MPG and overall performance up those were the first things I could think of to do. I digress, I'll have lab tests on Supertech as well so we all know. If you can find it US Lubricants markets Thrive oil for fairly cheap prices if you can find it non commercially. Overall, the engine is loving the 15W40 compared to stock oil. Also thinking of doing the liqu Moly engine flush. Can be found on Amazon. Great reviews and I have my feelers out to see if any of my friends or acquaintances have used it. Especially with the low OCI I've discussed. New to the forums in general although I've been stalking for a while since i took over Rover 2 months or so ago. These are my first posts. I found it once and will again but rear frame is my biggest issue/fear. Thinking about fish plating it somehow. Again, I digress. Oh if my calculations are correct and there was some estimation in them I've returned the old girl to between 15.5mpg to 17.5 avg mixed Interstate driving. Still going through all service records but it's looking like at 149,964 miles my Rover has never needed head gaskets yet. Yes yes, I've seen the threads.hahaha. I'm due for major back surgery in 6 days so it will have to wait.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:36 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Jeff,
For the info on the Castrol.
Well I shouldn't say hard to find as long as you have a Tractor Supply in your area. I think Farm and Fleet and Fleet Farm carry it too. I could be wrong.
Obv. On the availability not as prevalent as Wally world's are. However, not sure of the price of the Castrol but the Synblend Mystic was 32 bucks including tax for 2 gallons. Most times its cheaper than that. I used to use it in my Diesel when I had it and it would go as low as 16 bucks/2 gal. That 7.3 liter Diesel never burned a drop of it. Oddly it would burn Rotella. In those days I went with whatever was cheapest.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
'Hard to find' is a dealbreaker for me. Every walmart has Rotella, it's cheap, and the right mix for our engine. On my latest trip there I saw that there's a Castrol diesel engine thats replaced rotella on the featured stand. Rotella is in the back now
Has anyone tried to use this Castrol 15-40 instead of Rotella 15-40?

I am switching to Dino from Rotella T6 just to see if my leak issue goes away.

Does it matter?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:20 PM
5th Gear
Default 0-40 mix with 15-40

Originally Posted by sayeedA
Has anyone tried to use this Castrol 15-40 instead of Rotella 15-40?

I am switching to Dino from Rotella T6 just to see if my leak issue goes away.

Does it matter?

MY last oil change. Now dumped out Supertech 15W40 I was originally using for a quick clean and dump after anan engine flush. Anyhow didn't happen like that. So Wally World had on sale an 0-40 full synthetic special euro blend for diesels and cars for 6 bucks a quart, bought two, I'm mixing the rest with the Mystic 15W40. So far my engine loves it. The 0-40 I found by pennzoil doesn't have the dreaded donut symbol that our flat tappet engines don't enjoy. I'm open to doing crazy things. You'd be amazed at some of the fixes over the years my mechanics and I at work have done to keep my material handlers going. Keeping my production schedules on par. For instance a crane that would go into preservation mode. We threw a thermometer down in the engine to test and half open that old Cat never went into preservation mode again. Boston winters before I went back down South we would mix viscosity as well. Especially for the old Euclids. Everyone of them had a different personality.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FerroChrome99
MY last oil change. Now dumped out Supertech 15W40 I was originally using for a quick clean and dump after anan engine flush. Anyhow didn't happen like that. So Wally World had on sale an 0-40 full synthetic special euro blend for diesels and cars for 6 bucks a quart, bought two, I'm mixing the rest with the Mystic 15W40. So far my engine loves it. The 0-40 I found by pennzoil doesn't have the dreaded donut symbol that our flat tappet engines don't enjoy. I'm open to doing crazy things. You'd be amazed at some of the fixes over the years my mechanics and I at work have done to keep my material handlers going. Keeping my production schedules on par. For instance a crane that would go into preservation mode. We threw a thermometer down in the engine to test and half open that old Cat never went into preservation mode again. Boston winters before I went back down South we would mix viscosity as well. Especially for the old Euclids. Everyone of them had a different personality.
This is confusing sorry. why would you want to mix? First time I used Mobile 5-30 it just started to leak my clean engine. I switched to Rotella 6 used that for 5 years now. there are some leak. I wonder if i switch to 15W40 Dino for a while may help. just a thought. Thanks