Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK... might have found a Disco!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I've been trying to find pictures of these but can't. I'm assuming it would be something fairly obvious to see looking underneath? The usual nipple type grease fitting?
Much easier IMO if you just ask the owner if they have had the drive-shaft rebuilt....I would venture to guess, if they don't answer with a confident "YES" then it has not been rebuilt.

Chances are, if it was dealer maintained and there was a problem with the drive-shaft/U-Joints, it would have just been replaced with another factory shaft, which will buy more time, but not remedy the situation. I am at 122K and still running a stock shaft (by all accounts it is the original). I just lube it and check it regularly.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Much easier IMO if you just ask the owner if they have had the drive-shaft rebuilt....
It is at a dealership... so won't be able to talk to the original owner unfortunately. I will have to do my own investigating!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Good tips so far everyone! It is much appreciated! Looks like there might have been some paint work from the pictures, as the "SE7" badge on the Driver's Side is not there. I'll see the CarFax and have a good look in person though. Any other suggestions please let me know!

CarFax don't mean anything. I ran a CarFax before I bought my Disco, everything came up clean, no accidents, yada yada.
I took out my headliner this year and from what I found underneath it, my Disco had been involved in a roll-over at one point. Hah, someone forgot to report that one....

Check over your paint to make sure it all matches, now that I look closer at mine, I can see where the paint doesn't match. Sometimes that fine eye for detail can catch those problems that people "forgot" to report.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doesn't car fax have a guarantee to be acurate?

Old 10-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never mind its from "DMV reported accidents"

Old 10-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tweakrover
doesn't car fax have a guarantee to be acurate?
I think they have some kind of buyback protection, not 100% sure. Regardless if it was accurate or not, I've already fallen in love with my Rover. She's just been through more hell than most

-She's been smashed, trashed, rolled, had an engine blown, but it's a Rover. She can take it.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the colour of the PAS and brake fluids; they may not have been changed fro some time. Secondly, you should probably consider doing the transmission fluid; if I remember correctly, the maintanance schedule calls for a change around 45K and nothing after that.

If it is at a dealer, maybe you can talk them into replaceing the fluids as part of the deal...