Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0300, P0301, PO306, and now P1300 and P0441. Bad Coil Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:43 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0300, P0301, PO306, and now P1300 and P0441. Bad Coil Pack?

Hey everyone. 04 D2 with 119k. I purchased the vehicle at 70k. I have had zero problems since owning the D2 except for a few leaky fluids (valve covers, throttle body heater etc etc).

The last couple weeks I have had misfiring on cylinders 1 and 6 throwing the following codes: P0300, P0301, and PO306. It is a noticeable misfire and I feel a slight vibration when it happens. It mainly occurs when the torque converter is locked and the engine is under a slight load or when I start out driving from a stop. It doesn't throw the codes right away either even though I can feel the blips.

Just today two more codes went off. P1300 and P0441 on top of the others and the SES light actually flashed for a few seconds instead of remaining steady.

Temperatures are good (using Torque app)

Here are my thoughts:

1. I believe cylinders 1 and 6 are on the same coil pack so maybe bad pack.
2. Bad plug wires or plugs (no idea if previous owner changed them)
3. O2 sensor but doesn't make sense since cylinders are on opposite sides.
4. misfire due to blown HG
5. Cracked block but unlikely due to cylinders located on opposite sides of block.

Thanks in advance for advice. Hope my winded explanation helps.

-Chris

Old 11-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

You need to stop driving your rover ASAP! 1300 code from the RAVE:Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected Catalyst damaging level of misfire on more than one
cylinder.
Cylinders 1 and 6 are on same coil pack.
Changing coil packs is not as daunting as it sounds, it was my first rover project. you can do that and change plugs and wires at the same time.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by obababoy1
Hey everyone. 04 D2 with 119k. I purchased the vehicle at 70k. I have had zero problems since owning the D2 except for a few leaky fluids (valve covers, throttle body heater etc etc).

The last couple weeks I have had misfiring on cylinders 1 and 6 throwing the following codes: P0300, P0301, and PO306. It is a noticeable misfire and I feel a slight vibration when it happens. It mainly occurs when the torque converter is locked and the engine is under a slight load or when I start out driving from a stop. It doesn't throw the codes right away either even though I can feel the blips.

Just today two more codes went off. P1300 and P0441 on top of the others and the SES light actually flashed for a few seconds instead of remaining steady.

Temperatures are good (using Torque app)

Here are my thoughts:

1. I believe cylinders 1 and 6 are on the same coil pack so maybe bad pack.
2. Bad plug wires or plugs (no idea if previous owner changed them)
3. O2 sensor but doesn't make sense since cylinders are on opposite sides.
4. misfire due to blown HG
5. Cracked block but unlikely due to cylinders located on opposite sides of block.

Thanks in advance for advice. Hope my winded explanation helps.

-Chris
It is probably the coil pack but I would try borrowing or buying (locally... so you can return it) an MAF. Very easy swap with no tools and fixed my similar problems twice. A bad or dirty MAF will cause multiple misfires and you know instantly whether that is the problem. If it isn't, just put yours back in.

I don't recommend cleaning an MAF, though others do.

But I agree with the above post. Replacing the coils, wires and plugs is not the worst thing to do on a rover and is a good place to start mechanically working on an engine.

The reason I jump to the MAF is the random misfire. Every time I've had a random misfire it was the MAF. I've owned my Disco 17 years.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:24 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reset the codes and got cylinder 1 and 6 again. I tried cleaning the MAF after all this stuff but didnt help. Unfortunately I am living in Hawaii so the community is somewhat limited here and I am terrified to visit Land Rover Honolulu .

If I replace the coil pack should I do the other one also?

I am now planning to remove the Plenum because I have SAI as well...Ill do more reading but I am guessing something is going to break and I will need a new gasket?

Now is just bad timing for this problem because the inlaws are visiting on Island :/

Old 11-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

You need to replace both coils. If you only do one, the other will go soon after ( not a mechanical reason, murphys law). You will nee a new plenum gasket. Genuine ones are about $50, after market, $18.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by obababoy1
I reset the codes and got cylinder 1 and 6 again. I tried cleaning the MAF after all this stuff but didnt help. Unfortunately I am living in Hawaii so the community is somewhat limited here and I am terrified to visit Land Rover Honolulu .

If I replace the coil pack should I do the other one also?

I am now planning to remove the Plenum because I have SAI as well...Ill do more reading but I am guessing something is going to break and I will need a new gasket?

Now is just bad timing for this problem because the inlaws are visiting on Island :/
You will need a new plenum gasket or you will get vacuum leaks. I have re used mine after spraying both sides with copper coat gasket spray with no leaks, though. But dry, they always leak. Found the spray at the auto parts store for about 6 dollars.

I'd replace both coils at the same time just because it is almost the same amount of trouble for two as for one but twice the trouble to do it again, and if one failed, the other can't be far behind.

I understand about the MAF. I just happen to have some local friends who swapped with me for a few minutes. They are expensive (although I have been using the cheapie one on amazon for a couple of years now that I got in a pinch. I have a couple of OEM ones in reserve).