Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0301,P0306,P1300 need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I pulled the plugs and it is really time for wires. only 2 of the 8 stayed in tacked as I pulled them off the plugs. I will be trying to post photos of the plugs they are all Bosch+2 except 1 (look at # 4) I have never seen that before and makes me worry about what else is like this. I smelled a very strong fuel smell on #6 and #8. All of them except #4 were a little wet kinda like oil but could have been fuel and carbon.

if the link doesn't work, copy this in your browser window. MobileMe Gallery

Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Three Wheeling

still looking for opinions on the old plugs do I have a bigger problem than just wires that has caused the plugs to misfire????

Thanks

Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

About octane booster and fuel additives... watch this:
YouTube - 5th Gear - Myth about fuel additives
Save your money and run premium unleaded.
For the plug wires, get 8mm (Kingsborne, Magnecore, STI). If you're smelling gas on the plugs then I'd suspect the wires. (Hope you're not loosing coolant) Mike is right about the trans flush. Any trans shop I talked to said if it hasn't been serviced on a regular basis, a flush will kill it. IMHO, a good way to "clean" it would be to do a drain and fill then drive for a week, then drain, replace the filter, and fill.

Eric

Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't go throwing any more money at it till you install the new wires.
As for the tranny, one or 2 drain and refills, depending on the color and smell of your old fluid. Do you know how to refill the tranny?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Three Wheeling

thanks guys and I cant believe that products can be sold to the consumer like that with no consequences to the manufacture.

Anyway I ordered Magnecore 8mm hope to have them by tomorrow and will install right away not real excited about it after finding out where the coils are. (has anyone relocated them before?)

And for the tranny I have never done it before on any vehicle but it looks easy enough based on the how to write up in the sticky section but don't let me screw it up if there is something I should know I'm all ears. I do have a lift in my garage and love to work on my own stuff so I have some skills but mostly a hobby guy. I know enough to get by but also enough to know that it is always best to talk with others who have done it before.
Thanks guys

Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Three Wheeling

jaydog101, I'm in KC as well. I just changed my wires about a month ago so, if you'd like some help, let me know. It's not fun, but it's not as bad as some of the writeups make it sound either. I even have my screwdriver already bent... you can use it without hosing up one of your own!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the offer Longjohn76 but I am in St. Louis MO. it would be along drive for you but I have to tell you that this is the best community around. I did how ever replace the plugs and wires and she is running again with no codes. She is however running a little hot and I discovered that the electric fan behind the grill is not working and all. it was all rusted and locked up looks like it has been that way for awhile. I have not noticed it running hot before but it is now. runs fine on the hwy right around 200 but at stops or around town it has gotten into the 220's. I read somewhere that the fan would kick in at 212 but not sure if it is the clutch fan or the electric fan??????? Anyway that is why I checked the electric fan. I did use the E3 diamond fire plugs because they were rated better than the +4's in all test comparisons that I saw. they are hotter and create a much more intense explosion in the chamber than the +4's but would this cause the hotter temps???? I think it might but not sure. I would hate to have to remove them because I can tell a difference in power and the truck is running very smooth.