Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:33 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Passenger side A/C problem

Ok the ones that are cold on one side and not the other it is
the doors (air gate) in side the dash what happened is that the
control is not closing the door all the way so it acts like you have
turned the temp up from cold to warm.

The ones that are just not cold willneed to be recharged.
You can use the little hand held cansfrom the auto parts stores
but they will let in a little air each time you use it.
( the line on the canhas air init)
Its not bad, but at sometime you will have to have everything
vacuumed out andreinstalled.
One thing I found on my Disco was the seal around the intake ventup by wipers was the side seals about 4" long (one on each side)was letting in hot air from the motor.
there two lips that the seals are onI moved them to the in side lip and added a bigger seal to the outside lip it helped.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree, there are two issues going on in most of these trucks, low freon for the ones that are not totally cooling on either side and a blender/air gate failure for the trucks that are cold on one side and warm on the other. For those of you that have need for freon, most auto part stores have a kit with guage so you can top off your freon for the coldest cooling. these work real well as long as your truck has some freon left in it and they also come with a sealant to stop the slow leaks.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the freon charge first because no one wants to know what a pain it is to swap out a blend door motor, and if you do need one, you'll need to know how to program it , they arent a bolt in and go part , and I've only seen possibly 3 go bad in 20 years

Old 06-20-2014, 12:13 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have searched the forum for the blend motor replacement and have only come up with the Range Rover P38A narrative for checking / replacing these motors. Is the Disco II much different?

I have also read that they are sold in "threes" and need to be spliced in. AB sells these individually. Anyone replace these before? any insight?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Last night, I discovered that my pass side is not as cold as the drivers side. I don't think its a low freon issue because the The rear AC is very cold. Probably a door issue.

I am going to do the AC manual test tonight ot see if I have any codes.

Here are the instructions on how to do the AC test: https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...er-side-59299/

Edit: Just realized that this thread was from 2007...

Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
It will be the control unit or a air gate that is not working properly. Have you tried the a/c self test yet to se if it is detecting anything? I believe you shold be able to find it in your owners manual.
Mike
x2 control unit sensor or as Mike says air gate inoperable. The A/C is zoned in the control head for different temperatures each side. Run a self test on the A/C system.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Run the system through a full cycle changing the air flow directions manually on the A?C control head and also temperatures. Turn the A/C on and onto econo and fully off and watch what happens at the compressor.

Check the air ducts with a temperature sensor, preferably a wire type and push it in about 3-6 inches to measure the temps. None of the ducts will return exactly the same temperatures but they should be in the same ball park give or take 2-3 degrees celsius. Check at different temperature ranges also.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I posted the same question about the same time last year. I lived with it through last summer until today. I had a shop add freon and that helped the cooling overall, but their is still a slight difference in temperature on the passenger side. A few weeks ago a few small pieces of foam were spit out of one of my AC vents. So I am thinking that the blend door servos are probably working fine, but the foam sealing the ducts/doors is deterorating. Could be wrong as I haven't pulled it apart to confirm. Just speculation at this point.