Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PING! then suddenly drive a sherman tank...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PING! then suddenly drive a sherman tank...

Driving into town today just cruising on CC and my down pipe off the pass manifold just sheared off clean, like you took a knife to it. took it over to a local Maxi and they welded it back together for me for 37 bucks, But man, the more I drive the D2 the less I like it.

The wheel bearing issue for one, a pair of them is worth more than the truck. both mine are going out and it's gotten to the point where I refuse to fix them cause it's just tossing good money after bad at this point.

In the short time I had it I replaced the head gaskets, the wires, plugs, the o2 sensors, had this down pipe fail, water pour on my head from a sunroof leak, the 3 amigos constantly lit, the SRS lit, the check engine lit,(basically dash looks like a xmas tree). replaced the drivers wheel bearing, with one off a low milage wreak, which also failed shortly afer. Truck only has 180k on it, but you would think it had 400k.

The only thing that does consitantly work is the AC.

Will definatly be the last d2 or any newer rover I ever own.

Sad that the rover came to this.

At least with the D1, even though they tend to break just as often, the parts are somewhat reasonable to fix it.

The truck may still have a decent life after I'm done with it (hopefully in the next 6 weeks or so) as I'm giving it to the guy helping me drop the om617 into my 95 as payment for his time. But, I'm thinking it will become a parts truck.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Th old Mercs have many of the same problems and draw you to fly low and fast with the partz vulturez at the boneyard. The newer one are priced for millionaire maintenance. Front strut/shocks for my 93 cabrio pushing $700....

I don't think very many things can outlast the old Mercs... they still make you look good.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Th old Mercs have many of the same problems and draw you to fly low and fast with the partz vulturez at the boneyard. The newer one are priced for millionaire maintenance. Front strut/shocks for my 93 cabrio pushing $700....

I don't think very many things can outlast the old Mercs... they still make you look good.
I agree, the old mercs are one of the best cars on the road. Cheap to maintain, run forever and do it getting 30mpg while seating 7 after 30+ years.

Just replaced the entire front suspention in my 85 Euro wagon. EVERYTHING, total rebuild. Full cost of parts, 450 bucks to make it factory new. That was using Lemforder and Bilstein parts (OM factory).

Cost of one wheel beering for the D2 ..500+ stupid.