Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinning the liners and sls pump pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pinning the liners and sls pump pressure

First I have read recently that there is a process of pinning the liners by drilling a hole throught the liner and into the block. then tapping the hole and using a bolt or beveled screw and locktite to seal the threads. Then us a dremmel tool to cut off the head and shape it .........also what is the normal pressure that the SLS pump would put out if working correctly.I used a pressure gauge and I get 60 before it wont pump any more. Answers greatly appreciated.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The SLS pump is a low pressure pump and 60 pounds sounds about right, why do you ask?
As for the sleeves, leave them alone, many time, when there is a failure, it is not from the sleeve but a crack behind the sleeve on the block.
If you are worried about your engine and it overheating, stay current on your coolant changes, get away from Dexcool and go to Peak or one of the other better green coolants and replace your t/stat every 2 years, might even consider going to one of the other t/stat that can replace yours but offer you a lower temp, yet stronger flow.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only asked about the pump because I am rebuilding the SLS system to keep the truck original. I like the idea of being able to regulate the height as an option. I just didn't think 60PSI was what the pump put out. As for the liners I have no problem with overheating ..oil consumption.. just that ticking noise when she's at operating temp. Oil pump check out good cold starting/ cold @2000 hot idle and Hot at 2000 were all with in the area. Maybe next area will be to look at the cam shaft as the culprit. The ticking is coming from under the right valve cover (used a stethascope) to determine the area. Will probably pull the head off and see if there are marks showing liner failure....other than that she runs great.....