Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PO171 and PO174 with new oxygen sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty first undo the to clips holding the MAF to the air cleaner cover. Now lift MAF up exposing the one open end of the MAF. Now take a zip lock bag and wrap it around the opening and wrap some elastic bands around bag tight to seal it to the MAF. Now take the vacuum hose that runs from the intake plenum to the passenger side valve cover and remove the end of the hose that is connected to the valve cover. Now would also be a good time to remove the plastic piece that is in that hole and see if it is clogged at all. I believe it is called a oil seperator. Once you have done that plug that open hole on the valve cover up with something. I used a spark plug wire, it fit snuggly over the hole. Now you are left with the hose that runs into the intake plenum hanging there. Now light your cigar and take a big puff and grab the that hose and blow the smoke into the open end of the hose than cover it with your thumb. Blow smoke into it a few times while you will see the zip lock bag expand from the built up pressure. Careful not to blow to hard. maintain nice steady blows, if the zip lock bag blows off your blowing to hard. (no punh intended). when you have some decent pressure the smoke will quickly find its ways out of were the vacuum leaks are coming from. Presto you have now found your vacuum leaks. Let me know how it goes.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well everything has failed. I have done the cigar test and cleaned the MAF. I have even sprayed brake cleaner all over with the engine running, which scared the crap out of me, and can't find anything. What type of shop (not dealership... Too far away) might find a leak for me? I've reset the SES and it just comes back on after about an hour of driving.

Charlie V