Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Por fin se fueron los tres amigos!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 10:44 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Por fin se fueron los tres amigos!!!

I finally got rid of the 3 Amigos, I changed the shuttle valve but I ultimately had to do the bypass where the and yellow and green wire is rerouted. After, I completed the procedure i still had the 3 Amigos but it was because I spliced into but did not bypass the green and yellow wire, I cut the wire and the Amigos went away hopefully forever,

The first time, I had a hard time getting the air out of the brakes, they say you have to use the Hawkteye Tool to open the Shuttle Valve but this time I used a $20 Harbor Freight One Man Brake Bleeding Tool and got a nice firm pedal, All you need to do is just keep pump the tool until you don't see any bubbles in the transparent plastic tube.

One thing, I don't think it's possible to remove the Shuttle Valve while the ABS Module is in the car. I see that others have done it but I couldn't; I can see the advantage of it: no need to bleed the brakes and risk stripping the six soft aluminium threaded ports in the ABS Module but Its a real PITA to get those 3 Allen Screws out. Be careful with the 6 ABS connectors; don't cross thread them.

This forum is great, people all over the World helping each other out for no $, just a desire to help one another,

Old 11-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Agreed. Great resource. So helpful.

It is possible to remove the shuttle valve without unhooking the Wabco unit. It's tricky, and I had to use a very odd arrangement of sockets, adapters, but now I can whip the shuttle valve off in about 6 minutes. I can see why you might think it's not easy enough and pull off the brake unit though.

Well done getting it fixed.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

I was able to complete Option B without removing the modulator but I have girlie-man hands. It was tedious but doable. The girlie-man hands also came in handy when I changed plug wires a few years ago.