Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible drive shaft issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default possible drive shaft issue

Squeak at low speed and vibration under acceleration. doe this sound like drive shaft, any answers welcome, thanks

Old 09-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrjones
Squeak at low speed and vibration under acceleration. doe this sound like drive shaft, any answers welcome, thanks
Yes, that sounds very much like a failing drive shaft. Stop driving the car until you can fix the issue. The front drive shaft must be replaced on all discovery 2s because the originals blow up and destroy the transmission. If your front drive shaft has not been replaced, then do so now with a servicable unit.

The following users liked this post:
Chrjones (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Overlanding

Thanks. I'm going to strip it out tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find

Old 09-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
Yes, that sounds very much like a failing drive shaft. Stop driving the car until you can fix the issue. The front drive shaft must be replaced on all discovery 2s because the originals blow up and destroy the transmission. If your front drive shaft has not been replaced, then do so now with a servicable unit.
X1 ........... agreed. Problem is also unless you have a CDL the truck is immobilized until you refit the new/refurbished driveshaft. Nearly all new driveshafts have greasing zerks on all the UJ's and some have them on the center ball joints.

Land Rover Discovery II Drive Shaft Replacements

Chrjones (09-11-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

X2 might be better to get a $200 replacement this this time and rebuild that one as a spare down the road.

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
X1 ........... agreed. Problem is also unless you have a CDL the truck is immobilized until you refit the new/refurbished driveshaft. Nearly all new driveshafts have greasing zerks on all the UJ's and some have them on the center ball joints.

Land Rover Discovery II Drive Shaft Replacements

Chrjones (09-11-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Overlanding

I had a friend remove the front shaft, nasty thing, I've ordered a replacement upgrade. Problem I now have is my friend took ill and is not going to be available for some time. I can refit the new shaft no problem but he didn't mark the flanges in any way/ Is there a specific line the shaft should have in relation to the rear dhaft

Old 09-11-2016, 05:20 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrjones
I had a friend remove the front shaft, nasty thing, I've ordered a replacement upgrade. Problem I now have is my friend took ill and is not going to be available for some time. I can refit the new shaft no problem but he didn't mark the flanges in any way/ Is there a specific line the shaft should have in relation to the rear dhaft
Sorry to hear your pal took ill.

Refitting the shaft is simple and although it helps it is not critical to have the flanges marked up. IMO fit the shaft after cleaning the flanges and ensure the 8 bolts point in the right directions and are torqued up to their correct setting. (if unsure look in the RAVE manual here online)

Don't forget to grease the UJ's and centre ball well via the zerks and ensure the grease emits from each of the UJ cruciform positions both ends.

Chrjones (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 06:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Sorry to hear your pal took ill.

Refitting the shaft is simple and although it helps it is not critical to have the flanges marked up. IMO fit the shaft after cleaning the flanges and ensure the 8 bolts point in the right directions and are torqued up to their correct setting. (if unsure look in the RAVE manual here online)

Don't forget to grease the UJ's and centre ball well via the zerks and ensure the grease emits from each of the UJ cruciform positions both ends.
Yup: alignment marks become irrelevant, because you are fitting a new shaft. And the relationship between front and rear shafts will change with revolutions via the open diff transfer case, anyway.

Good advice about greasing. I've personally known, and read of horror stories here, about brand new shafts not having any grease from the supplier.

Chrjones (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Overlanding

Thank you all for your responses. the shaft which was ordered is a heavy duty replacement for the evidently floored original unit. Grease nipples all round.. Thanks again