Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Fluid and PS Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 12:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid and PS Pumps

I've read some threads about ATF being used in Disco I's for power steering but that Disco II's take actual PS Fluid. I know the PS pumps are generally not long lived but my Disco II has red fluid in the reservoir and I curious if this is likely ATF and would cause early failure of the pump? I'm installing a new PS pump so I wanted to know if I should flush the PS system completely of the red stuff in favor of clear PS fluid. Any advice would be useful.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I used clear power steering fluid in mine. If you do a search on this site, you'll come up with your own conclusion on what to use. The system calls for the same oil that is used in Honda's, but I couldn't find that at the part store. And I wasn't going to Honda for power steering fluid, so....

Old 11-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by MaineDisco2
I've read some threads about ATF being used in Disco I's for power steering but that Disco II's take actual PS Fluid. I know the PS pumps are generally not long lived but my Disco II has red fluid in the reservoir and I curious if this is likely ATF and would cause early failure of the pump? I'm installing a new PS pump so I wanted to know if I should flush the PS system completely of the red stuff in favor of clear PS fluid. Any advice would be useful.
My D2 TD5 is 13 1/2 years old this year and I've always used ATF in the PAS reservoir whether recommended or not. Original pump but had to replace the alu and rubber return pipe as it wore through against the engine sump (common TD5 issue). IMO sometimes one can be too fussy and the PAS pump is little different to the autobox. PAS fluid IMHO is yet another marketing ploy a bit like genuine Landrover parts vs others.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:13 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

That pump can make a lot of noise

Old 12-01-2016, 02:54 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Upon further inspection my PS pump it piped into and out of the auxiliary cooler for the transmission. I assume this is why I'm getting ATF in the reservoir but the routing of the PS lines into the cooler is not reflected in the service manual. Anyone know if this is the typical set-up?
Hi, this is not a typical setup for a D2, wel at least not for a TD5. Are you positive you are looking at the fluid lines correctly? it may be a variant D2 destined for very hot climates (middle east etc) but my D2 is a LHD and designed for the southern Americas and the temperature there can be from very hot to sub zero. It does sound very strange to me but I'm sometimes wrong.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:08 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Upon further inspection my PS pump it piped into and out of the auxiliary cooler for the transmission. I assume this is why I'm getting ATF in the reservoir but the routing of the PS lines into the cooler is not reflected in the service manual. Anyone know if this is the typical set-up?
Its not routed the same. Its just went under the cooler and looped back. Its hardly visible under or above because the line is underneath the oil cooler. With regards to fluid, i usr the dark green fluid, pentosin.

The following users liked this post:
MaineDisco2 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
My D2 TD5 is 13 1/2 years old this year and I've always used ATF in the PAS reservoir whether recommended or not.
Power steering and ACE
Texaco Cold Climate PSF 14315.
LR put out a lubrication/fluid list some time ago that said ATF fine to use in ACE depending upon ambient temps and assumed seals in both PAS/ACE wouldn't be compromised by the ATF. There may be some slightly better lubrication qualities of one fluid over another that could reduce internal metal wear of pump or gear as the same applies to motor oils. If it makes you feel better purchasing the best high dollar fluids or living in a N/S polar region during the extremely dark/cold times it may work better for you.

Last edited by number9; 12-01-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Its not routed the same. Its just went under the cooler and looped back. Its hardly visible under or above because the line is underneath the oil cooler. With regards to fluid, i usr the dark green fluid, pentosin.
Yes that appears correct. I'm individually an *** and cannot see straight. They do go under the cooler. my eyes deceived me. I will consider flushing out the whole system for the greenish ACE fluid.