Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Power Steering Hose Replacement

So, over the weekend, our '04 D2 developed a pretty bad power steering fluid leak. From what I can tell, it's coming from the hose under the pump. It looks like the area where the hose connects to the pump (bottom side) is cracked and frail. This will be my first attempt at fixing the leak.

My question is... is this an easy fix and where can I find a replacement hose? It doesn't look like there is very much room to get my big hands into the area. I'm wondering if it would be less stress/hassle and obviously more money to have a shop fix it? I can change out parts on a vehicle, I've done some work on cars before. I tried a search on here looking for how-to's or recommendations on doing this, but couldn't get anything exact on the hose replacement. And, I'm not sure if any type of replacement hose will work, or if it's a LR specific type deal. I attached a few pictures of the hose/leak in question.

Thanks for any input!

Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Hose Replacement-ps-leak-1-2-.jpg   Power Steering Hose Replacement-ps-leak-2-2-.jpg   Power Steering Hose Replacement-ps-leak-3-2-.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly its probably the seal in your pas pump. My hose looks exactly the same and I was hoping it was but it wasn't. Try to clean as much as you can to try to spot the leak.
Its pretty easy to replace the pump theres a youtube video on how to replace it. Its also a lot easier to remove pump to get to hose then doing it while its mounted . lol
heres the youtube link

Last edited by MeanSaleen; 08-26-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced that line without removing the pump. I think I did it from under and on top. I had a cut in my line so needed it new, but I think previously I had a small leak and put a new o ring in and that did the trick.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It does look like the hose is leaking, but it could also be the pump as MeanSaleen pointed out.

First, I just did my pump and that hose, and I got both off ebay. The hose was $44 (too damn high!) and the reman pump was $171 shipped with a $35 core (so it was probly $150 after all said and done, because I had to pay to ship the core).

Second, you can swap the hose with the pump in the truck. It is kind of a pain because you're working on the bottom of the pump. Fluid goes everywhere, so have a large drain pan. If your pump isn't groaning, this might be enough.

Third, the pump job isn't bad. I recommend pulling the fan if yours is easy (mine comes right off) because it frees a lot of space to work. The RAVE explains exactly how to it (except they leave the fan in). The biggest pain in the *** (which you'll also have to do if you just replace the hose) is bleeding the system. Talk about fluid everywhere! I recommend gravity bleeding - you just fill the reservoir, open the valve, and let it sit til it's draining a steady steam of fluid. Then crank it and bleed a couple time as per the RAVE. A good trick is use a very long 3/8" extension with the correct size socket on the end, and just leave it on the bleed valve while you're bleeding so fluid doesn't shoot 2-3 feet when you turn the wheel. I'd turn it the wheel to full rotation a couple of times and call it good.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Alright guys, thanks for the input. I'll have to make a decision to see if I can actually fix this or if I need to take it in. The video helps a lot and makes me think I can do it on my own. It may take me a while weekend, but I could probably get it done.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling

So... update on my leak. Haven't had much time to mess with it as we just bought a new(er) house and have been moving. Decided with my lack of free time to do any wrenching, I took the truck to a mechanic. I had purchased a replacement hose and had them switch the hose out. They fixed it yesterday, but as we were picking it up (the truck had not been started or test driven after the fix), the leak was still there. SON OF A B*%$H!! Well, it's the pump after all. So, ordered a new power steering pump from Roverland Parts this morning and having it shipped overnight to my door. I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and hopefully they can get the truck fixed on Saturday or Monday.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanSaleen
Honestly its probably the seal in your pas pump. My hose looks exactly the same and I was hoping it was but it wasn't. Try to clean as much as you can to try to spot the leak.
Its pretty easy to replace the pump theres a youtube video on how to replace it. Its also a lot easier to remove pump to get to hose then doing it while its mounted . lol
heres the youtube link Removal / Installation of Power Steering Pump Landrover Discovery Series II - YouTube
yup, I had two pumps (2 separate trucks) leak in the same location.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:51 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

What a b---h eh, pity but the consolation is you won't have problems with the hose for 10-15 years but all unnecessary unfortunately.