Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 01:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Leak

I believe my leak is coming from the large gasket that sits in the top. Looks to be 3mm tall, 3mm thick and 72 mm ID, so 76mm OD. Goes in the below groove.
I did not see that in any kits for sale.

There is also a gasket above the rollerbearing, below that could be a source of leaks at the top.

I have some white stuff I cleaned out, looks like water or something.

In the absence of getting a new gasket.. can i use black gasket maker on the matting services of the cover and hope it holds? Any other thoughts?

Old 09-02-2023, 03:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redrover75
I believe my leak is coming from the large gasket that sits in the top. Looks to be 3mm tall, 3mm thick and 72 mm ID, so 76mm OD. Goes in the below groove.
I did not see that in any kits for sale.

There is also a gasket above the rollerbearing, below that could be a source of leaks at the top.

I have some white stuff I cleaned out, looks like water or something.

In the absence of getting a new gasket.. can i use black gasket maker on the matting services of the cover and hope it holds? Any other thoughts?
Those seals come with the power steering rebuild kit. I used a self-tapping screw to remove one, then a socket to re-install. It is a lot easier with the box out of the car - remove the driver's side tire, the plastic dust/mud shield, and a heat shield up near the top unviersal joint of the steering wheel shaft and you loosen the torx screws on the top and bottom joints and that allows you to remove and re-install easier. For the seals that you had such trouble with for the power steering lines, go to Harbor Freight and buy the Metric and Inch o-ring kits - I remember using those to reseal the lines after I had a power steering line burst years ago.

I honestly would wait for the seal kit, that box has a lot of pressure, its expensive, and a pain to be taking on and off. I think there is a thread somewhere on this site where a forum member describes changing the seals without removing the steering box.

I purchased the entire rebuild kit from Adwest on eBay years ago - I think QFW100140 contains the seal you need. Don't quote me on it though as the kit contained various baggies with different part numbers.

I ended up taking apart the steering box and the worm drive thing which is the shaft you're looking at was put back in wrong and I had to take it apart again to fix it. I had a helper and we used rope to position the box, and even then it was a PITA. So if I were you, I'd wait for the correct seal if you can.

Last edited by jthomas; 09-02-2023 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (09-03-2023)