Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump hose replacement DIY Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

All you gotta do is take the old hoses off and add a piece of hydraulic hose with clamps. No need for all this work.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:21 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for the instructional information regarding this repair. I basically followed the same steps, a few minor deviations, but same end result.
I did the repair over 2 days, first day was to remove all of the necessary items, plastic panels etc. to gain access to the hose. Not sure I agree with the engineering used to come up with this design, but I suppose there is a valid reason. I actually tried several different versions of relocating the hose for better future access, but in the end just replaced it back into the original location. yes, there were also a few stripped screws/bolts, all since drilled out and re-tapped. I had no hoist or ramp, so did everything underneath lying on a creeper. Lots of dripping fluid to lubricate the face, eyes and skin. Cleaned it all up, installed the hose and bled the system. After that I took it through the local car wash and paid extra for getting the underside washed as well. Got it back home and placed a clean sheet of cardboard under the engine bay to determine if there were still leaks. Checking back in the morning, happy to report all was good. All that remained was bolting back a few panels and getting busy on cleaning stains from the driveway.
Overall, not a complicated job, a little messy, but it really is a DIY job. Local garages in my area wanted to charge an obscene amount of money for this job, over $1000.
I bought the hose myself for less than $200. I probably spent a total of 6 hours actual working time from start to finish, using just basic tools and following instructions from others. Really appreciate this forum and the people who take the time to contribute. Cheers.

Last edited by Disco2004Canada; 10-18-2019 at 04:24 PM.