Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On Power Steering hoses and such

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default On Power Steering hoses and such

Hey folks. Happy Holidays...it has been awhile since I have been here.

Awhile back I had a pulley grenade and I'm pretty sure that it took out a power steering hose in the process because the power steering started leaking like a sieve. I'm a lazy bumm and I figured I could live without power steering...but with new tires going on the vehicle along with an alignment I figure that it's probably worthwhile to fix the power steering now.

It's a little cluttered in the engine compartment...but we've got send/return from the reservoir to the pump, and then of course a send/return from the pump to the box.
I'm crossing my fingers it's a low pressure line that I can buy locally and just clamp the thing on...I doubt my luck would be that good however.

Any tips/tricks for accessing this area, if anyone knows the size of the fittings off of the top of their head, that would be very useful...anything else anyone has to add would be great.

Very Respectfully
-U

Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Boneyard? Dismantler parts guy? Would be cheaper than local hose fabrication probably.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The hose for the pump-to-box includes the cooling line. You'll need to access this through the left from wheel well...

I wouldn't mess with used PAS hoses. If the wrong one fails and you get air in the pump it can cause the pump to cavitate and destroy the pump. (Ask me how I know...)

Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Ken, are you saying that you've been running the PAS system dry all this time? Because if so...

Land Rover Discovery II Steering Pump (Fits Part #QVB500080)

Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer X
Ken, are you saying that you've been running the PAS system dry all this time? Because if so...

Land Rover Discovery II Steering Pump (Fits Part #QVB500080)
well, the line needs fixed first...who knows, maybe the rover gods will smile upon me and feel pity on my foolishness and spare me the cost and replacement of a pump...

thanks for the tip on the wheel well...I'll take a look.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Depending on how long you've driven without PS Fluid, you will need a new pump. The hose that blew out for me was the reservoir to pump hose. It is $70 and you'll have to take out the pump to replace the hose. Replacing the pump means you'll take off the fan, unbolt and reposition both the ACE pump and the A/C compressor just to access the pump. At this point you may as well replace the pump while you're at it. I just finished mine about an hour ago. If you've done it before, you can do it in about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. This was my third PS pump job on a Disco, so I'm getting pretty good at it.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and don't fool around with a used pump. I tried that too... (Did I mention that I replaced my PAS pump 3x last winter?)

Buy a new PAS pump and lines. Save yourself a lot of time, aggravation, and grief.