Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 04:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Power Steering Woes

Ok, done with flushing and putting in Lucus. PS is done.

Major leak on big pipe coming off the bottom of the Pump. Pump whines like a pissed off wife.

Should I replace the Steering box while I have it all apart, or just the pump, lines and reservoir? A lot of work to get in there, but the Steering box is pretty expensive.

Any options other than being 100% and replacing the box?

Old 02-01-2022, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

I've been through this several times. I regret doing the flush because I think it cleaned up all the gunk in the steering box that was holding the seals together. After the flush, it start leaking like a sieve. In any case, I went cheap and got used steering box off ebay for $150. It started leaking within a month. So I ordered a remanufactured one from Rockauto. After installing it, it went bad after a couple of months. Sent it back under warranty and the second one worked better, but still leaked a bit. I put some blue devil in it and it has been solid ever since.

So, you could try a remanufactured one - as long as it is under warranty. But you might end up swapping it out if it fails and this is not a job you want to do more than once. If I were doing it again I would still go that route but I probably wouldnt use the supplier with RockAuto.

Lastly, the steering arm is a PIA to pull off your old steering box and put on the new box. You will likely need to borrow some tools from your local AutoZone. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2022, 09:18 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For some reason, Discos churn through steering boxes. I need to have mine replaced every 2-3 yrs. The original lasted 10+ yrs. I'm on my 4 or 5th since. I've been getting the remans as they are under $400, but they don't last and have varying stiffness. Some are loose, others are really stiff. New OEM is over $1200 but it may last much longer...considering it the next time I need one.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cvhyatt
I've been through this several times. I regret doing the flush because I think it cleaned up all the gunk in the steering box that was holding the seals together. After the flush, it start leaking like a sieve. In any case, I went cheap and got used steering box off ebay for $150. It started leaking within a month. So I ordered a remanufactured one from Rockauto. After installing it, it went bad after a couple of months. Sent it back under warranty and the second one worked better, but still leaked a bit. I put some blue devil in it and it has been solid ever since.

So, you could try a remanufactured one - as long as it is under warranty. But you might end up swapping it out if it fails and this is not a job you want to do more than once. If I were doing it again I would still go that route but I probably wouldnt use the supplier with RockAuto.

Lastly, the steering arm is a PIA to pull off your old steering box and put on the new box. You will likely need to borrow some tools from your local AutoZone. Good luck!
Not what I wanted to hear. looks like I might also buy a drop arm assembly and just not full with taking the other one off.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts

They aren't cheap. As long as you have time and patience, you should be able to pull your old one. Let me look around and see if I have a spare. Here's my links to my swaps.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...38/#post760463

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...43/#post769766

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...44/#post770583

Old 02-02-2022, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 227 Likes on 196 Posts

I bought a seal kit and re-built my 96 D1 steering gear. Just followed the Workshop Manual instructions. It does take a bit of a touch to get it back in adjustment, but it's been great. Very inexpensive that way.

My pump whined when I used Lucas PS additive because it was so thick, especially cold, so I drained and filled with regular fluid a couple times. Much better. It still is louder than I like, but works fine.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

A good note

I had my steering box rebuilt, it was about $500 all in, and came back as loose as when I sent it off which was a bit disappointing, however I did a little bit of reading and found that you can adjust the steering box gear mesh to be tighter, and that definitely helped return the steering feel to brand new.

Other than that, it's been about a year and it's been fine, no leaks yet if anything a little bit of wetness that could just be me spilling a little bit of oil at some point. I bought a reman power steering pump through Autozone and have been getting it warrantied every 8 months or so since 2017..every time it was leaky, and sometimes it was leaky and causing a stiff steering wheel. No issues with noises though, especially since I've been adding fresh CHF11s every time I replace the pump..it's the cleanest system within the truck, next to the windshield washer fluid that somehow is empty within a couple days??

The last time I "complained" (explained the situation calmly) enough that they gave me a bottle of CHF11s and promised a brand new pump instead of the reman the next time it fails.

That being said, I think all of the reman/"new" PS pumps are hot garbage, but Autozone has been fantastic at exchanging it same day. I'm using Britpart low pressure hose, and a genuine Rover high pressure hose. Why? Because the Britpart hose leaked, and leaked, and leaked. And when I replaced it, it still leaked within a few months.

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (02-03-2022)