Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Discovery
You eliminated the Opticrapper!! I'm impressed, I hated that thing on the 'ol LT1.

I always thought the caprice had the 5.7L (maybe it was an option?), but no mistaking that intake manifold and water pump, that's right off the LT1, I've made quite an offering of scuffed flesh and blood to the Pontiac gods over one of those on my '94 Firebird.

That Optispark distributor was a sweet idea, but poorly implemented, it would have been worse on a rover as wading through any creek would undoubtedly get water through the weep hole and into your distributor.

In my case, it was the weep hold of the water pump just above leaking into the weep hold of the distributor and causing a bunch of misfires.

Ah, just like the Disco, I loved that ol' F-body..

Awesome project, I hope it succeeds, as I don't like the idea of dumping $5k for a pinned rover 4.0L that still might have a cracked block in the future.

Hi 99 Discovery,

Opticrapper? Interesting name but probably appropriate from what I've heard. Any distributor mounted in such a way looks like it would be indeed a nightmare.

Rovers wasn't much better the way they mounted theirs. I remember doing a head gasket replacement it was a real bitch to remove.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by captain1976
Using the Rovers Ignition System I don't have the option of putting it in the back of the Chevy engine. Hell, their ain't enough room to put it behind the Rover engine but that's epidemic.

My solution was to make an angle bracket and mount it on the right hand firewall. Not wanting to drill into what appears to be the back end of the heater core or part of the A/C system, I utilized bolts that hold that stuff in.

I made an extension "white wires" for the module which originates from the harness on the other side of the vehicle and will make up my own long wires for the left hand bank of spark plugs.

I think if I ever get another regular Rover I'll change it this way!
BTW, I think Atlantic British parts might have a coil relocation kit, so if you put your coils the same place they put theirs, they could probably help you out with getting spark plug wires.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Drifting
Default Crank Sensor

I was asked privately what I was going to do about the crank sensor since I'm using the Rovers Ignition and Fuel System.

Chevy didn't use crank sensors on the series engine I'm using until 96 and since mine is a 95 it doesn't have one.

The Rover uses a magnetic sensor which runs through the back of the engine and uses a magnetic rod which runs into a groove in the flywheel. At a point in the flywheel where there is no magnetic contact, that's where I assume the ignition gets its signal.

I plan to achieve the issue by providing the Chevy engine with its own crank sensor (called a crank trigger) mounted on the front of the engine and tied into the Rovers electrical system (see photo).

Attached Thumbnails Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-cranktrigger.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 04:57 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates?

Old 04-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bpfamily
Any updates?
As a matter of fact yes.

I think I mentioned before I live in Florida for 6 mths and Wisconsin in the summer months.

I went up a couple of weeks ago and installed the new motor mounts, ran the fuel lines including the return, made up and installed new plug wires, installed the exhaust manifolds and a few odds and ends including the starter wiring, etc.

Next week I will be going north for the summer and the next step is to connect the exhaust system up, connect the O2 sensors and fill the trans and engine with oil.

Then I will deal with the crank sensor which I will use the crank trigger. Once I run it then I have to deal with the cooling system, charging, pumps, etc which should take a few weeks of my spare time. I will continue to include pictures and any special problems but it all seems doable.

Attached Thumbnails Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-20150416_132920.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-20150416_120806.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-20150417_182016.jpg  
Old 05-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by captain1976
I made an extension "white wires" for the module which originates from the harness on the other side of the vehicle and will make up my own long wires for the left hand bank of spark plugs.

I think if I ever get another regular Rover I'll change it this way!
This is not my specialty, but won't this throw off the timing? Your adding at least 2 ft of wire per plug.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by petminded
This is not my specialty, but won't this throw off the timing? Your adding at least 2 ft of wire per plug.
It's not my specialty either, but with the ignition impulse traveling from the coil to the spark plug at the speed of light (186,000 mi/sec) I don't expect another two feet of wire per plug will make a material difference.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone build a kit to put a 1960s buick 350 in one

Old 06-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Drifting
Default Well, its runs

Got it running today but only for less than a minute since I have yet to hook up the cooling system, which I will use the Rovers radiator and coolant bottle for. I won't use that contraption of hoses Rover uses with the thermostat in it, the Chevy engine has its own.

Tied in the exhaust to the Rovers muffler with flex pipe for now and I will have some custom benders make it right once its on the road, but they seem to do a nice job since its quiet.

Used the Rovers throttle cable and cut it down since its sooo long. Had an issue with travel which was too short to allow full throttle. I found the gas pedal on the Rover has 2 plastic spacers, which once removed allowed the exact distance for full travel both way.

I fabricated a temporary crank sensor mount near the crank pulley (see pix), the one I will make is going to be stainless since I think the magnetic Rover sensor may interfere with regular conductive metals like steal and aluminum.

The other issue is that I decided to use the Rover anti-sway system pump which sits above the power steering pump. I had to fabricate a bracket for both and the picture shows it somewhat completed. I mentioned this before but again the Chevy has all its accessories on the right hand side of the engine leaving the left side clear.

Next is the alternator and a/c compressor along with pulleys to accommodate the rather long serpentine belt I will have to use.

I'm in no rush and would like to have it fully roadworthy by the end of the summer.

Attached Thumbnails Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-06-20-15a.jpg   Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-06-20-15b.jpg  
Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

This is awesome, cant wait for further updates.

Quick Reply: Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II