Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quest Off-Road in Corning NY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zski128
This truck has been floating around on Craigslist for a while.

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ct...091367173.html

Never heard of Quest off road until I saw it mentioned in link above.
they are trash. And there’s rust in those pictures.. the description says no frame or body rust lol. Quest is a disaster

Old 03-13-2020, 03:18 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by boston4
For whatever it's worth, the truck that ThunderTank (Jason?) posted is currently for sale in Boston. 147k miles for $7500. Doesn't seem like the actual owner is posting here. Link and screenshots: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6068689374496/

Nope, that's my truck. I was going to sell it when i found a green one i liked better, then the heater stopped working at idle, I brought it in to J. Whites automotive, hoping it was something cheap... and found out the system was full of K Stop, the head-gaskets were most likely heating, etc, etc....This started the whole stressful ordeal where i got quoted around 20k for an engine rebuild and various other things it needed....and that's where i came in with my original post to this thread. You're all welcome to call J. Whites in Framingham, (508) 872-4752, and ask about the silver 2003 that Elias brought in. I ended up posting the whole ordeal on FB, Jason reached out to me, and it's been a streamlined process, ever since. I have no wish to fight anybody here, and the aggression against me, especially from HankScorpio, is unwarranted. HankScorpio, I don't know what sort of bug got under your bonnet, but if you're really having this much of a temper tantrum, calling people liars, accusing them of posing as other people, etc, then this has gone to your head, and you need some help. Take 1/10th of the energy you're spending attacking me, and go to small claims court. If you have such a cut and dry case against Quest, then i'm sure you'll easily win the case. Stalking people on this forum, isn't an effective use of your time.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderTank
Nope, that's my truck. I was going to sell it when i found a green one i liked better, then the heater stopped working at idle, I brought it in to J. Whites automotive, hoping it was something cheap... and found out the system was full of K Stop, the head-gaskets were most likely heating, etc, etc....This started the whole stressful ordeal where i got quoted around 20k for an engine rebuild and various other things it needed....and that's where i came in with my original post to this thread. You're all welcome to call J. Whites in Framingham, (508) 872-4752, and ask about the silver 2003 that Elias brought in. I ended up posting the whole ordeal on FB, Jason reached out to me, and it's been a streamlined process, ever since. I have no wish to fight anybody here, and the aggression against me, especially from HankScorpio, is unwarranted. HankScorpio, I don't know what sort of bug got under your bonnet, but if you're really having this much of a temper tantrum, calling people liars, accusing them of posing as other people, etc, then this has gone to your head, and you need some help. Take 1/10th of the energy you're spending attacking me, and go to small claims court. If you have such a cut and dry case against Quest, then i'm sure you'll easily win the case. Stalking people on this forum, isn't an effective use of your time.
Apologies - just recognized the Jurassic Park sticker from the ad. Glad that you had a good experience. You should consider adding to the advertisement the work that was done by Quest - it'll help justify such a high price.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:29 PM
Overlanding

This truck has been floating around on Craigslist for a while.

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ct...091367173.html

Never heard of Quest off road until I saw it mentioned in link above.
This post was actually one of the reasons I "felt good" about QuestOffRoad...seemed like they had done some work out there. Color is god awful though, and it's a little rough around the edges.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:38 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by boston4
Apologies - just recognized the Jurassic Park sticker from the ad. Glad that you had a good experience. You should consider adding to the advertisement the work that was done by Quest - it'll help justify such a high price.
That Jurassic Park sticker is the only reason i kept the truck And nope, i'm no longer selling the Disco. That add was PRE work....now I've got around 17k sunk into it with the engine rebuild, all new suspension (original seller told me it was old man EMU lift and terrafirma shocks, turned out to be the ORIGINAL, completely blown shocks, and 3 terrafirma springs...total mess...guy screwed me). Was my original asking price high? I had several people offering me more then the asking price in a little bidding war, before the heater stopped working and i learned what a piece of crap I had bought....

Old 03-13-2020, 03:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 212 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderTank
That Jurassic Park sticker is the only reason i kept the truck And nope, i'm no longer selling the Disco. That add was PRE work....now I've got around 17k sunk into it with the engine rebuild, all new suspension (original seller told me it was old man EMU lift and terrafirma shocks, turned out to be the ORIGINAL, completely blown shocks, and 3 terrafirma springs...total mess...guy screwed me). Was my original asking price high? I had several people offering me more then the asking price in a little bidding war, before the heater stopped working and i learned what a piece of crap I had bought....
That really sucks. I am still on the hunt for a D2 as a project truck. Slim pickings out there but at the right price providing the frame is in good shape I am willing to put the work in.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:00 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
its interesting that you claim to be a new LR enthusiast in your post yet you seem to know enough to say that it seems that most people wanted a $20k rig for $7k and done fast and thats its “Lofty goals, versus the harsh reality of Land Rover ownership costs get people salty”. What kind of new
LR enthusiast says that or even knows that? Its so clear that this was type by someone who owns this business. Later on your non confrontational posts are telling after you posted something like this that is so direct. You are talking rebuild numbers like you know LRs and arent a new enthusiast... what experience do you have if you are a new enthusiast but others dont understand the “harsh reality of Land Rover ownership costs get people salty.” Sorry you just aren’t very bright. Then posting pics from inside
of Quest. 🤦‍♂️
Hank, brother, don't go around making accusations and projecting your negativity, it's a bad look, especially when you're accusing somebody of not being bright, in a post riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. Yes, I'm new to Land Rovers, but that doesn't mean i haven't done a fair bit of research, looked into my options, spoken with the guys at Rovers North, Congelton Service, and J. Whites (among others) and ultimately settled on Quest, because the owners took the time to walk me through their philosophy on rebuilds, help me set realistic expectations, and offered me a price that was much cheaper then other options. Was i also worried when i further researched Quest, sure, but at the end of the day I've had nothing but a positive experience. That's it. Period. This isn't the Jerry Springer show, and there's no reason for you to rant and rave at other community members that are simply sharing their unique view points on a repair shop. Again, if you had that bad of an experience with Quest, then you should absolutely pursue it in small claims court.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:04 PM
Overlanding

That really sucks. I am still on the hunt for a D2 as a project truck. Slim pickings out there but at the right price providing the frame is in good shape I am willing to put the work in.
Dude, i spent a solid MONTH agonizing about the right D2 platform to do a build on. You should use https://www.searchtempest.com/. It let's you search all of craigslist at once, rather then laboriously going from state to state. There is also the same type of option for FB marketplace www.searchworldmarketplace.com. I have personally had amazing luck with FB marketplace. Bought my Audi TT 225 1.8 there, as well as my e46 M3, and the Rover. Let's you vet sellers a bit more then CL....I found the best trucks in Texas and Arizona.....but like an idiot bought one out of DC, where rust abounds, because i get too hyped on all the extras, and did'nt pay close enough attention to the bones. Take your time, and you'll find the right one. Good luck.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:32 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
A minor point but how do you have an old man ENU (sic) 3" lift with Terrafirma springs and shocks?
The 'gentleman' i bought it from told me that was the set up, and with my eyes glazed over in lust for the roofrack, Hellas, and sick sound system, i didn't do as much digging as i should have. I had a great drive with the truck back from DC, but ended up posting it on Craigslist with basically the same copy from his origional ad, after I found a green one in PA i wanted more. Then the heat died, I brought it to J. Whites..and it was a absolute nightmare. Turned out to have STOCK suspension, and only 3, count them, 3, terrafirma springs...Suspension totally shot. On top of that i found rust, a leaking headliner, and an engine full of K stop......I lost hair because of this, which is why i went to Quest. I wanted to bail myself out for short money, and despite all the negative feelings here, it worked out great for me.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:35 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mollusc
And the really notable omission from that description? That it has a rebuilt engine. Someone who's really happy with a rebuild -- recent or not -- isn't going to leave that out.
This is my truck. I posted this ad before all the problems, that resulted in needing to rebuild the engine, arose. Everyone is making some wild assumptions here. Confirmation bias is real, but this is sort of ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Quest Off-Road in Corning NY?