Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.

Ran out of gas - brakes stopped working

Old 04-15-2019, 07:26 AM
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidOHendo View Post
When the gas ran out it felt like automatically went to neutral. I put it into Nuetral .. coasted 7 miles down an incline.. I pumped the brakes to slow down a few times .. when I got to the bottom the brakes were locked up so they would not even push down .. I had to use the emergency brake to eventually stop .. if there were other cars .. I would have smashed into them .. It took 100-200 hundred feet to slow down. Not good Surprised this car was ever approved for the road.. should be able to brake at ALL times .. what if your engine fails .. and your going 50 mph and there is a red light in front of you ? Not good..

Thinkin about selling her after this ..
Brakes locked up == Brakes grabbed the tires and the tires stopped moving

Brake pedal got very stiff == when I got to the bottom the pedal was soo stiff I could not even push it down, because the engine is not supplying vacuum to power the power brake booster. Recommend not skipping leg day.

Glad you are safe either way.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:31 AM
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidOHendo View Post
Trying to replace my fuel tank guard. Trying to let gas get low. To take off the guard. Canyon incline road danger warning signs to trucks. Ran out of gas before incline. Didn't even know I was out of gas. Needle not below red. Put in Neutral and coasted 7 miles. There is a gas station at the bottom of the road. I can't believe I coasted 7 miles out of gas. That's crazy.

Now heres where it gets scary.

I tried to stop to turn into the gas station - and the brakes locked up. I was forced to use the parking brake. Probably need a new parking brake. Thank the Lord there was no traffic. The brakes locked up in Neutral. I would have rear ended someone.

Seems pretty serious to me for a cars brakes to stop working because the engine failed on the road or it ran out of gas. Not sure I'm too keen I driving this anymore.

Why did the brakes fail?
man, i can't tell if you're trolling us or not. just in case you aren't, see the below.

A brake booster is an enhanced master cylinder setup used to reduce the amount of pedal pressure needed for braking. It employs a booster set up to act with the master cylinder to give higher hydraulic pressure to the brakes and/or lower force applied on the brake pedal through a brake booster push-rod. The brake booster usually uses vacuum from the engine intake to boost the force applied by the pedal onto the master cylinder or may employ an extra vacuum pump to enable it. Without the engine running the brake pedal feels very hard and ineffective on the braking capability.

The following users liked this post: jastutte
shanechevelle (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

Did you coast in drive or neutral?

The following users liked this post: Ben Matheson
shanechevelle (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 AM
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts

This David guy sounds like a real tool
I shake my head a few times already on his posts in the last weeks

Old 04-15-2019, 07:53 AM
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Where's that Dweeb guy?

The following 3 users liked this post by Lisa Bunch:
JUKE179r (04-15-2019), mollusc (04-15-2019), NewToTheTwo (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Liked 501 Times in 451 Posts

Originally Posted by shanechevelle View Post
I agree with deputy. Your brakes worked you just didn't press hard enough

The following 5 users liked this post by OverRover:
Lisa Bunch (04-15-2019), mollusc (04-15-2019), NewToTheTwo (04-15-2019), shanechevelle (04-15-2019), The Deputy (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat View Post
This David guy sounds like a real tool
I shake my head a few times already on his posts in the last weeks
And I shake my head every time I see your comments. I don't see any good good damn advice from you! Your just a chimer. You ain't helping nothin on here. Braking system ain't something I ever dealt with before. But betcha I know how allot of other things work... way more than you .. cause from your comments you don't know how NOTHIN works.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Liked 592 Times in 525 Posts

If you owned a Prius it would have been on the news as a runaway vehicle.... when all it was = a bunched up floor mat

Old 04-15-2019, 01:50 PM
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy View Post
My suggestion would be public transportation for you..
Now THAT'S funny!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:52 PM
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch View Post
Where's that Dweeb guy?
I'm right here. And as I predicted in this guy's post in the Transmissions thread, he's burnishing his credentials as the first member of the Dweeb Discovery Hall of F(Sh)ame. Didn't take long.

Great, now I gotta plan an induction ceremony.

Last edited by Dweeb Discovery; 04-15-2019 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post: Dweeb Discovery
Lisa Bunch (04-15-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ran out of gas - brakes stopped working

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.