Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I mean really....

I mean really.......

Talk about camping.....whow...

Old 08-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well let's talk about it dollar wise. I bought my truck for 5300 bucks, a bit steep but it does have a one year 12,000 mile powertrain warranty, obviously an aftermarket warranty of course. Let's say for arguments sake that my engine takes a dump, and I had to pay to replace it, I could get a rebuilt one for 2,850 from Roverland. I would be installing it myself and could get the job done in a weekend, swapping a motor if done properly isn't all that difficult especially in a rear wheel drive vehicle. That means I've got 8k in it. Yes the vehicle isn't worth that, but look what I've got now. I have a truck with a new motor (the same motor as the Defender, I might add) and I only spent less then half the money, spend a little more get the bumpers, lift kit, tires, now I have a truck just as capable as a Defender, way more comfortable then a Defender, for a little bit over half the price of a Defender. I think I'm in the good. Hell I might just throw a new motor in it anyway just for ****s and grins, rebuild my old one a bit at a time, preserve it for the future and bag it up.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default youn could ..but ..

Originally Posted by timdunbar
Well let's talk about it dollar wise. I bought my truck for 5300 bucks, a bit steep but it does have a one year 12,000 mile powertrain warranty, obviously an aftermarket warranty of course. Let's say for arguments sake that my engine takes a dump, and I had to pay to replace it, I could get a rebuilt one for 2,850 from Roverland. I would be installing it myself and could get the job done in a weekend, swapping a motor if done properly isn't all that difficult especially in a rear wheel drive vehicle. That means I've got 8k in it. Yes the vehicle isn't worth that, but look what I've got now. I have a truck with a new motor (the same motor as the Defender, I might add) and I only spent less then half the money, spend a little more get the bumpers, lift kit, tires, now I have a truck just as capable as a Defender, way more comfortable then a Defender, for a little bit over half the price of a Defender. I think I'm in the good. Hell I might just throw a new motor in it anyway just for ****s and grins, rebuild my old one a bit at a time, preserve it for the future and bag it up.

You could but..you will be in the same boat... $2,850.00 is a motor you will rebuild unless you are a gambler. I find it hard to believe you can get a fully rebuilt motor for $2,850.00...I mean it's about $1,600.00 just to have it resleeved with flanged liners.... Is that short block or long block? 90% of these DII"s where soccer mom owned...yea the ones that dont understand that they take oil to run....$5,300.00 ...whow, i got a 2000 for my daughter for $3,800.00 so yes..a bit steep.. And you said the magic words " do the work yourself" not everyone wants to take out rebuild ,replace and install a engine...and about every other thing that goes to sh$it on these discovery's....

and you say spend a little more..... your kidding right...??

wheels and tires: $1,600.00 easy..remember you need the same size tire for a spare or you will kill the transfer case...

front bumper, running lights, and winch: $2,000.00 installed yourself...

Roof rack with all accessories $, 1,000.00 minimum ...

Suspension including steering: $1,200.00..

rock sliders, and diff protection and all the rest are even more...

Your at over $6,000.00 just to start.....It's expensive to get it rigged out....

Last edited by vandev; 08-13-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:40 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
On the other end of the spectrum, there is us, who buy these at less than a quarter of there orginal value but fail to realize, there are poorley built and dont last unless you are yourself a mechanic or have a bucket of money
I wouldn't call a fully boxed frame, ZF transmission and a solid gear to gear transfer case "pooley built". Yes the 4.0 does have issues if not property maintained and there are some design flaws but they are capable of reaching 200K miles and that's pretty good for a V8 gas engine.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default sure i wood...

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
I wouldn't call a fully boxed frame, ZF transmission and a solid gear to gear transfer case "pooley built". Yes the 4.0 does have issues if not property maintained and there are some design flaws but they are capable of reaching 200K miles and that's pretty good for a V8 gas engine.

what would you call a ferreri that cost's $200,000 new and 6 years later was worth $50,000.00 ... well, if you did find one and i will bet you wont...but lets say you did...it would be a POS....My truck was $42,000.00 and change new in 04...i bought it 4 months ago for $8,000.00... what can you say...my friends all wanted to buy one untill they come over and see the engine all over the garage or ask me what i am doing on the weekend....they smarten up quick...

and there are alot more cars and truck that have a better chance of getting 200k than a LR... well at least better than a DII i can say for sure

Last edited by vandev; 08-13-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Mudding

Actually the motor from roverland costs 2850 from plenum to oil pan, thats the whole thing apart from accessories. And retail book on my truck with my miles, in my condition is around 5700 or thereabouts, so I didn't do too bad. I also got a 12,000 mile warranty remember and I'm not sure what that would cost.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Mudding

Oh and there are other ways to go with the accessories.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default ahhhh

Originally Posted by timdunbar
Actually the motor from roverland costs 2850 from plenum to oil pan, thats the whole thing apart from accessories. And retail book on my truck with my miles, in my condition is around 5700 or thereabouts, so I didn't do too bad. I also got a 12,000 mile warranty remember and I'm not sure what that would cost.

thats not rebuilt...they just pull a couple covers and take a peek....buy one from ebay or a wreaker and peek yourself and shave $1,000.00 off that...They dont pull the heads or re seal, rebearing, regasket anything... no thanks..and re sleeveing it is the only real way to fix the overheating issue with these..otherwise just plan on blacking out about half of you weekends for the life of the truck...

Old 08-13-2010, 05:40 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I mean really.......
(insert Defender pics from above)
Talk about camping.....whow...
VERY NICE, I think we can all agree on that ....but I can do all of those things in my Discovery and have a more comfortable ride getting there and back.

+ I got my roof rack for $250..then I added jerry cans $35....jerry can mounts $20 for both....High lift Jack Mount $30...

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 08-13-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:45 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could but..you will be in the same boat... $2,850.00 is a motor you will rebuild unless you are a gambler. I find it hard to believe you can get a fully rebuilt motor for $2,850.00...I mean it's about $1,600.00 just to have it resleeved with flanged liners.... Is that short block or long block? 90% of these DII"s where soccer mom owned...yea the ones that dont understand that they take oil to run....$5,300.00 ...whow, i got a 2000 for my daughter for $3,800.00 so yes..a bit steep.. And you said the magic words " do the work yourself" not everyone wants to take out rebuild ,replace and install a engine...and about every other thing that goes to sh$it on these discovery's....

and you say spend a little more..... your kidding right...??

wheels and tires: $1,600.00 easy..remember you need the same size tire for a spare or you will kill the transfer case...

front bumper, running lights, and winch: $2,000.00 installed yourself...

Roof rack with all accessories $, 1,000.00 minimum ...

Suspension including steering: $1,200.00..

rock sliders, and diff protection and all the rest are even more...

Your at over $6,000.00 just to start.....It's expensive to get it rigged out....
You have to do that to a Defender to rig it out too...Your argument is falling apart

Quick Reply: Is it really worth it?