Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by timdunbar
. I happen to think my Disco handles that better then anything I've ever driven.

Man are you serious? I like my Discovery I but i can hardly say that a Discovery handles better than anything I have ever Driven, unless you like short top-heavy, and overweight vehicles. Yeah A Disco will get you a lot of places that most vehicles won't begin to take you, but handling?

My Datsun 280, Volvo 240 Porsche 928 and Mercedes Benz 420SEL all put the Discovery to shame in handling and head turning looks departments.

But you are right about them just being transportation.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:23 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't forget, with ACE DII's handle quite a bit better than DI's.
However, even with that, handling on any disco is a far cry from many other vehicles.
But like you mentioned, when your going 15 MPH tops in the forest... who's thinking about handling??

Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by timdunbar
You buy one, to get from one place to another, thats the true value of a vehicle, transportation simple as that. I happen to think my Disco handles that better then anything I've ever driven.
Guys, I don't think he was talking about the handling characteristics of Discos, rather his Disco meets his transportation criteria better than any vehicle he has driven.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost afraid to post on this thread But i will anyway, Just bought a D1 bout 3 weeks ago, for 2200 cash, I'm army just back from afghanistan, and all ive owned previously are jeeps. Swore by em and still love em, x wife sold my last CJ, and it was a beast to say the least. I've found out over the years that A vehicle is what you make of it, Doesn't matter what someone else will pay for it, Only how you look upon it that matters. My jeeps have went places my disco wouldn't go.....yet... But i spent long hours in the garage to make em do these things.. When it was hot i was hot, when it rained i was wet, and when it was cold..well i was scraping my breath off the window . So im excited about my new purchase and while im sure it will have its problems, What vehicle doesn't ? I look at it and see a nice rig with outstanding potential, For it to realize its potential ill have to work hard and long.. But as any vehicle before it i have owned, Its not about the finish, its about the journey.

jt

Old 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome home and thanks for serving! good luck with your new disco. you will soon fall for it like most of us have.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default welcome back

Originally Posted by LRadventure
Almost afraid to post on this thread But i will anyway, Just bought a D1 bout 3 weeks ago, for 2200 cash, I'm army just back from afghanistan, and all ive owned previously are jeeps. Swore by em and still love em, x wife sold my last CJ, and it was a beast to say the least. I've found out over the years that A vehicle is what you make of it, Doesn't matter what someone else will pay for it, Only how you look upon it that matters. My jeeps have went places my disco wouldn't go.....yet... But i spent long hours in the garage to make em do these things.. When it was hot i was hot, when it rained i was wet, and when it was cold..well i was scraping my breath off the window . So im excited about my new purchase and while im sure it will have its problems, What vehicle doesn't ? I look at it and see a nice rig with outstanding potential, For it to realize its potential ill have to work hard and long.. But as any vehicle before it i have owned, Its not about the finish, its about the journey.

jt

Welcome back from assganistan..and no.... i didnt spell it wrong...just ask JT...

anyway, just think of your rig as a cannon fodder and you will be ok...where here when you need help..

all the best, chris

Old 08-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks all, good to be back, and you spelled it wrong...its asscrackistan !

Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This thread is exactly why I own a DI.
Over 3 years and over 40,000 miles and only $1500 in repairs.
And never once not made it home under her own power.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landy.

Bought a 98 Disco about six weeks ago. bought it for 4500 bucks, 158000k Mostly city. Diff lever was frozen stiff, truck has never seen a dirt road. I have put the obligatory 4000 into it, muffler tires, belts, a new axle and re seated the front differential as it leaked like stupid... bunch of stuff that I would of done had I bought a Tacoma, a Jeep, anything...

I drove it across the province and back (with the aforementioned broken axle and leaks), Victoria to Cranbrook. 2200 kms. The only time it didn't make me happy was when someone unlocked the truck from the back and the alarm (disengaged) went off and we had to wait for five minutes before we continued rambling. A/C worked awesome, slight valve lifter tick that I will get to this winter (head gasket?)... great sound system, comfy, though I wouldn't recommend trying to sleep for more than an hour in the front seat... and super fun to drive. 4 year old in the back and we all felt safe.

So lets say you spend 10 000 on a new truck that can do anything you ask it with a few minor modifications and trust me it is not that bad on fuel... I have driven much much worse. This vehicle has character and does not look like a mutant when it is in a picture on a mountain (something that cannot be said for most 4by4's) This truck requires that you involve your brain in its maintanace and well being, and demands that you enjoy it responsibly (what are all these fools doing driving up cliffs? when do you ever actually need to do that?) How is this not value? real value...

This truck has become a family member... it is the closest thing to a living thing I have yet found in a vehicle. Everything else is soulless...

I understand the resale issues, I can see how it clouds peoples perceptions. If I spend money on something, my hard earned money be it 40000 or 4000 I am duty bound to maintain and take care of the object I invested in... I think this is lost in our society, so greedy for thrills and perfection we think are money is worth more than it is... 10000 dollars for a truck is nothing. pennies. even to repower one or replace a part.... I can understand why this would suck buying one new and to me this is it's major flaw but does anyone else here have any experience with boat ownership?

this truck is the closest thing to owning a boat I can see... I have one of those too. and trust me, please, trust me if you can in your life afford to own and maintain a wooden boat and you don't have one.... please get one. A love affair for a lifetime. so fun.

I am not a rich guy, I am 28 and I have a family... the costs ascociated with living are draining to say the least. I love my truck, I like fixing it, I love my boat... though it be a few years before it sails again...

Journey my friends... If the Journey doesn't interest you and you n iggle over nickles and dimes... stick to the camry. if you want to risk your sanity and dig in deep and see the wild that is so quickly disappearing at the hands of the soulless masses...

Landy.

Last edited by ScottDresler.; 08-15-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default ok superman...

Originally Posted by Spike555
This thread is exactly why I own a DI.
Over 3 years and over 40,000 miles and only $1500 in repairs.
And never once not made it home under her own power.

Ok superman......brag on about you wonderfull hot girl that never lets you down while this date from hell..well , i cant get her out of my garage

Quick Reply: Is it really worth it?